// Chapter 1

This is bullshit.

Those were the only words I could find enough energy to say out loud today. It's been 4 days since the day I found out my Grandmother passed. She lived a long life and left this world peacefully in her sleep at the age of 95. I should be happy that's how she went. But it hurts to smile today. It'll hurt to smile tomorrow.

Of course it was raining today. It rains almost everyday in the Pacific Northwest but this just matches my mood. Everyone is wearing black and being depressing, because this is what we all need at a time like this. I hate funerals, I don't even wish to go to my own. They're for the living. I didn't want to come here. Granny wouldn't have wanted all this sadness. Hell, she'd hop on the piano and play something upbeat just so everyone would lighten the fuck up. She would want this to be about a celebration of her life. I know she's fresh in her grave but she's probably already rolling over in it knowing they're serving unseasoned chicken. This bland chicken is fucking offensive, don't get me started on the two-ingredient potato salad Mrs. Waters brought over.

It's been coming down since 6:30 AM and now the rain has relaxed to a cool mist. It never bothered me any so I decided to come outside and sit on the swingset to enjoy the quiet. It's way better than the depressing murmurs inside the house and there was so much fresh air out here along with the towering dark pines. This wasn't how I wanted to say goodbye to her, if at all. I just needed to figure out the proper way to do so.

Ahem, I heard behind me.

"This seat taken?" Uncle Pete's voice was actually the only voice I wouldn't mind hearing right now.

"If it is," I shrugged. "It's not my say."

"I'll take my chances," he chuckled.

It's weird calling him Uncle Pete considering he's only 3 years older than me. But he's bizarre like that. He wants to feel older than he actually is. I don't know any 20-something that wishes to feel like they're in their 40's. But I digress...

"So," he nods, looking off into the dark emerald landscape in the distance. "Do you like to write?"

"What a random question." I stared down at my black boots digging into the damp earth.

"Serious question."

"Uh," I thought. "Yeah I guess."

"Good. Because while you were over at the university, I spent time with Granny and she gave me her typewriter."

"Congratulations?"

"Get serious, doofus. She gave it to me to give to you. I kinda feel like she knew those were her last days. She let me have Grandpa's old journals that he kept during World War II, told me to do something good with them."

"What do you plan on doing with them," I asked.

"Shit, I don't know. I gotta read through 'em first. Who knows? Maybe I'll get it published? I'm still trying to figure out whether I'd feel right making money off it or not."

"As much as Grandpa used to gamble, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Besides, he was always playing lotto so he could win enough to pass down to us."

"Yeah well," Pete sighed. "We see how that went. Anyway I'll drop off the typewriter tomorrow before you head back to school, take it with you. Granny said it should bring you good luck or something. I don't know how but, you know."

Pete wasn't big on showing emotion. He always tried to maintain his tough guy act but I saw through him like crystal clear glass.

. . . . .

When I returned to my off-campus apartment only 3 hours from home, my door was open and I heard R&B music playing inside. I knew I would be getting a new roommate soon but I wasn't sure who or when. The front office was always quite unprofessional about sending out notices. So for precaution, I took my keys, sticking one key between each of my fingers in case I needed to throw a very painful punch at an intruder. I slowly walked inside and saw a guy with dyed blonde hair stuffing his face with McDonald's french fries and scrolling through his phone.

"Um," I spoke to get his attention. He finally looked up, seemingly without knowledge of how to speak. "Are you...my new roomie?"

"Nope," he continued chewing.

"So who the hell are you and what are you doing in my place?" I tightened the grip on my keys.

"I'm a friend of your new roomie," he smiled. "I'm Sam." 

"Ellie...short for Eloise."

"Nice name," he looked me up and down. "You're lookin' for Cameron."

"And...where is this Cameron?"

"Yo Cam!"

"Huh?" I heard a man's voice shout from the once-vacant room next to mine.

"You're roommate is here. Her name is Ellie and...you owe me 20 bucks," Sam chuckled.

I heard a dresser drawer close and out walked Cameron. He only had on black sweatpants and a beanie but he was ripped & tanned. Definitely not from around here; California perhaps or Arizona. My eyes kept wandering to his abs and I had to silently pull myself together. Cameron waved awkwardly, unsure if he wanted to approach me. He sighed, dug into his pocket and plucked a 20 dollar bill from a small wad of cash, handing it to Sam.

"I feel like there was a bet going on," I folded my arms.

"It's nothing," Cameron nervously chuckled.

"Nah, nah," Sam laughed. "This guy thought you'd be ugly or something."

"And if I was?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Then he'd owe me a $20," Cameron shrugged.

"That's pretty stupid, don't you think? Ever heard of 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'? If Sammy here found me ugly but you found me pretty then...well, I guess you two would have a debate on your hands which could get pretty unpleasant since it involves money. But what should one expect when they're amongst boys and not men?"

I rolled my eyes and continued to my room with my suitcase.

"Okay then I take that back," Cameron spoke. "Here Sam...your 20 bucks back plus another $20." 

I paused in my tracks, tensing up in front of my locked bedroom door. What a dick.

"Damn," Sam quietly giggled. "You didn't have to do her like that."

"If only I cared," I heard Cameron say.

I didn't slam my door shut. I simply kept quiet and to myself for the rest of the night, continuing to endure more loud music of his. As hours passed, two more people had came to the apartment, another guy and a girl who couldn't stop laughing for whatever reason. As much as college is a pain in the ass, I was looking forward to class tomorrow.