// Chapter 13

It was 6 in the morning when I left. Right after Cameron had knocked on my door last night, I went straight to packing for winter break; even setting the typewriter next to my luggage. I knew from a while ago that he wouldn't be going home for Christmas. But I couldn't get out of there fast enough. The entire drive was without music, just the sound of the wheels against the pavement and my thoughts which were all tangled up. Everything was so damp outside, it's just damp here all the time with periodical misty rain spells. 

I arrived to an empty home only to find out my mother decided last minute to spend Christmas with her new boyfriend's family in Nevada. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend.

"I thought you were staying at school for the break," she spoke through the phone.

"No Mom," I rolled my eyes. "I never do. Why would you think this year was gonna be different?"

"Because your boyfriend is there with you."

"What boyfriend?" I made a face as if I just tasted something sour.

"What's his name...Nathan!"

"Oh my g-- Mom, I broke up with Nate centuries ago." It was nice knowing my mother knew about everything going on in my life...there was only a 365-day delay.

"Well, I'm sorry hun. Just drive back tomorrow, go be with your friends."

"How do you know they aren't with their families too?" I sighed as I opened the fridge. No shocker there wasn't much in there but week-old leftovers. "Nevermind, I'll drive back the day after Christmas. I'll be fine."

"No, no. I'm gonna call your Uncle Pete so he can at least spend the holiday with you."

"Fine," I sighed. "But stop calling him 'Uncle Pete', it's weird."

. . .

Having the house to myself wasn't so bad. It was the quiet I needed to clear my head minus the numerous emails from Cameron as the fraudulent Gizmo. He kept asking why I didn't meet him and what he did wrong, still not confessing to who he really is. I didn't have time for it and my embarrassment has yet to shed off completely.

Christmas was in 2 days and I made sure to get all my food shopping done today. I pretty much bought 5 days worth of food to be consumed within 3 days, which was doable. The issue was, it was mostly snacks and microwaveable meals. I haven't exactly been in a Chef Ellie mood.

The rest of the day was spent on the couch watching DVD's and pigging out with my blanket. The heater was being ratchet but luckily, with the minimal flow of hot air, I could survive with it being only 45 degrees outside.

Right in the middle of Will Smith's dialogue on Pursuit of Happyness, my phone rings. It was Cameron calling. I stare at it, ringing and vibrating on the coffee table. With hesitation, I reach for it anyway.

"Hello?" I made sure to sound as bothered as possible.

"...Hey," he spoke quietly.

"What can I do for you?"

"Did you leave?"

"Mmhmm." I crunched on some Pringles.

"Oh...because I-I realized I haven't seen you in a while and I haven't heard any sounds of life coming from your room," he chuckled to himself.

"I'm guessing we're cool now?"

I admit I was a bitch for that line. He sounded harmless and the poor guy was alone in the apartment for the holiday. But it didn't clear my anger for him.