Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The Beginning Part Two

***********************

“Will you just eat it for Christ sake?” Freddy says scooting the bowl of cabbage in front of Veronica closer.

“Freddy!” Veronica stares at the soggy bowl of cabbage steaming with bits of onion in it as she shivers.

“Now come on it can’t be that bad. Please miss, your father will be disappointed if you don’t at least try it.”

Veronica laughs and shakes her head no.

“I happen to be old enough to decline such demands from my father and if he will be so disappointed then we must do something. Hmm, yes, why don’t you eat it?” Veronica says and raises her eye brow smirking.

Freddy sighs and takes a fork full of cabbage and chews it slowly as Veronica stares intently at her. Freddy then closes her eyes like she’s tasted a sour lemon and spits the massive wad of chewed cabbage out into a table cloth.

“My god that’s foul!” She laughs and so does Veronica.

“Well now we’re all disappointed” Veronica shakes her head still laughing. “I was hoping for a bit more dramatic scene.” She sarcastically says.

Freddy glares at Veronica and then straightens her face and takes the bowl of cabbage away.

“Come now.” Freddy says to Veronica and she gets up and follows her into the kitchen.

As they enter the kitchen Veronica sits over in the bay window and stares out into the garden.

“Where is the new flower arranger Freddy? I haven’t seen her in days.”

Freddy ponders the question for a moment as she stuffs the cabbage into the trash bin.

“She works in the night now I believe my’ lady.”

“But why?” Veronica says disappointed.

Freddy’s mind starts to wonder and she looks up at Veronica.

“Why are you interested in the flower arranger?” Freddy says a bit suspicious.

“I…” Veronica pauses and stutters as she quickly tries to piece together a lie.”I.. h-have been very uh.. a-amused by the floral decorations in the dining room.”

“Oh I see… Such beautiful flowers…” Freddy says leaning over the countertop looking at Veronica. “What types of flowers were they again?” Freddy says smirking and laughing a bit.

Veronica opens her mouth and stands up.

“I don’t need to answer questions from a servant girl.” Veronica huffs out a deep breath of air and quickly trots away with her nose up in the air.