a brief interlude

Undyne and Sans weren't allowed in the infirmary. Screams, cries, wails, whatever the two could muster would only trouble those doomed to die here. The longer they had to wait there, the more they knew Papyrus was suffering until his eventual death, but as each moment came into being they hoped that this one wouldn't be the one where their lives wer shattered irreparably.

So they sat.

There were some magazines littered around the waiting area. What a joke. Here they were, the Royal Guard, fighting a bloody rebellion, and here were cheap little pamphlets showing smiling people with their smiling friends, their smiling brothers.

Undyne fidgeted incessantly. She played with her hair. She twiddled her thumbs. She reached for her spear more than a dozen times, perhaps thinking that she could use its sharp tip to rip through reality and alter it. If she had only watched her back, then he wouldn't have had to jump in and protect her. It wasn't supposed to be like this. He was the one she wanted to protect.

Sans was entirely still. A ghastly smile was plastered on his face, and the only motion he dared make was to glance over and Undyne. he saw her holding back tears and he wanted to choke her, wanted to scream into her ugly face and tell her that it was all her fault and that she never loved him like he had. After all, what's a couple years compared to a lifetime? He had raised him, fed him, clothed him, introduced him to spaghetti, taught him how to be nice to people and had spoken to him at length about all of the good in the world.

And it had led to his demise.

Both Royal Guard leader and lazy skeleton were left with an aching sense of grief and guilt.

And then the news.

(note: how are we all doing out there? this isn't really part of the narrative. a lot of things in the narrative aren't really part of the narrative, actually. like i said, there's a lot of contradictions and things that the characters can only speculate as to whether or not they actually happened. i had some other undertale writings i wanted to add but one of them was a particularly odd sex scene and i felt the other one didn't really add much to this collection here. i would call it a collection over a story because i feel that things are generally not as linear as one thing happening over another. this isn't a straight line. this is a chaotic beast on our hands, and part of all of it is figuring out how to deal with the animal. i chose to get outside of my head and post my writings on the internet.

too long, didn't read: thank you all for coming this far. stay tuned for more.)