The Plan

I was at home that night with an ice pack on my head, being bored as usual. At about 10 o’clock, I got on Facebook to see who was online. (Yes, I have a Facebook. I may not be popular, but I still have over one-hundred friends. People at school who say they don’t like you are still usually still your friend on Facebook.) I saw Mandy was online so I hit chat on her page and said hello. (Here’s our conversation.)

You: Hey!!!!

Mandy Lee: Hey! How’s the head?

You: It’s fine. You talk to Shan?

At that moment my phone rang. “Hello?” I answered like I didn’t already know ho it was. “Yes, I have talked to Shannon. Let me put her on the line.” Mandy said. I heard some clicking and then Shannon came on. “Hey, who was that hot guy in the hall? What’s his name? Were you guys talking? Is he new?” Shannon demanded. I smiled. “That was the guy I ran into. That’s how I hit my head. I don’t know his name and no, we weren’t talking. Yes, I think he is new. Anymore questions?” I let out a big breath. “When you guys were standing next to each other, you looked totally cute! You have to ask him out!” gushed Mandy. My smile got wider. “He is pretty hot. Maybe I will.” I said, an idea getting in my head.

The next day, we were sitting at our usual lunch table, talking about teachers, boys, and snobby cheerleaders. Tenth grade just got better and better it seemed. Jake, my ex-boyfriend walked past our table and smiled at me. He was a stuck up player who didn’t care about anybody’s feelings. I knew from experience and won’t go into detail, but let’s just say I had to call the police on him. Nobody else cared that he did this because he had one thing I did not: popularity. At this high school, if you wanted to make it, you had to be popular. A cheerleader, a football player, a jock…even some brains would get you a little higher on the scale. Me…I was in the nobody’s. Possibly at far down the list as you can possibly get. Some schools were all about friendship and getting along, but not in Cleveland Public High school.

In Ohio, you get the works. Fighting ranged from cheating to drugs to rumors. Now that I thought about it, even the fighters were higher up than me! But I guess a lot of high schools are like this, right? Right? Who am I trying to convince… Anyways, we were rating how ugly the cheerleaders were when he walked in to the cafeteria. Nobody looked at him but me. It seemed as if he was invisible. He was soaked and he looked absolutely cute. I was surprised he wasn’t half frozen.

It was about 40* in Cleveland, Ohio today. The coldest it had been all week. He walked to an empty table in the corner by the windows and sat down. He looked at me and smiled. His smile made me want to melt in my seat. I smiled back at him. “Falicity? What about Anna?” Mandy said trying to reclaim my attention. “Umm…8 out of 10 I guess.” I said absentmindedly. Shannon sighed. “Girl, what are you lookin’ at?” she sounded annoyed. “Shan, it’s that guy again! And it looks like he’s having a telepathic conversation with Lis.” Mandy said with a chuckle. I smiled at them and looked back at him. I think he likes me…Maybe I should ask him out…