Chapter 8

-Poppypaws POV-

I screeched but it was too late, I looked at my brother in horror. He was a monster. Tears brimmed in my eyes as the lifeless body of Shockpaw was at my paws. Sootpaw looked down at the Body, I tried to search his expression for innocence, but I only saw the thick blood dripping down his muzzle and onto the ground below. I looked around to try and find Oakpaw and I couldn't see him anywhere. I knew he had gone to tell the camp. The monster looked at me, the blood of Shockpaw staining his fur, as well as his heart. He didn't say anything, he just stopped and stared at me for a moment before turning away from me and heading towards camp. As soon as he had gone, I dropped my gaze to Shockpaw, his body was still squirming, but not for long. He died in front of my paws as I mourned.

-Oakpaw POV-

I ran, panting. I was loosing my breath running back to camp, half the blame from loosing my breath was from hyperventilating. I ran into camp, breathing heavily. It took me a few heart beats to get my breath back before I could say anything. "SOOTPAW KILLED SHOCKPAW!" I shouted out to the clan. They all turned around puzzled. Pebblefur dropped her herbs in surprise and emerged from her den. Thrushpaw leapt to her paws after sharing tongues with Leopardpaw. Before I could say another word, a force pushed me down from the bramble entrance and into the clearing.  It was Sootpaw, he had blood all over his muzzle and chest and front paws. I whimpered slightly. But there was no way he would kill me, not when the whole clan was watching, at least that comforted me. Thrushpaw screeched, instantly bursting into tears. He looked towards his sister but gave no sign he was feeling for her. I was about to leap at him and rake the fur off him but Duskstar stopped me. He walked up to Sootpaw, staying his distance, with a Noble, serious look on his face. He was surprisingly calm.

-Sootpaw POV-

Bat was behind me, he was praising me for my work. Duskstar had a stern gaze as he looked at my bloodstained pelt. "Did you kill Shockpaw?" He snapped in a calm voice, but there was a hint of hostility in his voice. Shockpaw was his apprentice, top of the den too. "Yes Duskstar" I replied equally as calm but then my voice  changed "I don't regret anything." I said more hostile and angry. I looked past his blazing gaze, towards my sister. She Wouldn't meet my gaze, her eyes were clouded with tears. this was the same sister that had comforted me when I was down. After I had been teased. She loved me and I had just destroyed her inside. Now that caring sister wouldn't meet my gaze. That made me reflect back to Poppypaws gaze. The one that had introduced me to fresh kill and loved me equally as my sister. But I had to crush him. Part of me wanted to throw myself onto the floor. "Your too deep in this to regret, remember, the cat before you made you a medicine cat, he crushed your dream. " bat snapped at me. I instantly was reminded of the task and started to smile again. "Get out of my territory!" Duskstar hissed at me "your not even Worth an exile, it would waste my time". I turned my head and made my way out of the brambles, as I looked back for the last time, Pebblefurs ears lay flat against her head as her lake blue eyes expressed her shame for me. I knew that she always wanted to show me there was more to being a medicine cat and that I was unique and better than everyone thought. She thought I had potential. 'You were wrong' I said under my breath as I didn't wait for her reply and walked off, I was about to cross the border when I saw Poppypaw with shockpaws body, he gave me a look of anger and depression. I looked away before eventually crossing the border.