Chapter 5: Short Detention

I was having a great day, other than fighting Jessica, and now being in detention. I just walked into the room, and already, "Don't give an excuse to leave. You and Jessica," and Mr. Wires points to the seat next to Jessica, who is already in there, " need to work together. I need to go to a meeting. I am trusting that y'all won't try to leave. Ok?" He finishes. I nod my head. He gets up and walks out the door, closing the door behind him. I turn back to Jessica; she has a piece of paper and our rubric already working.

I look at her eyes. Their asking Are you gonna start working? I nod and sit next to Jessica.

"So how much have you done without me?" I ask. "Everything." She answers. "Seriously, I thought you were going to be cooperative?" I ask. "I am! I finished!" I break out laughing. I bang my hand on the table multiple times before looking back to Jessica. Her face looked so serious, it was scary. I stop laughing the second I look back at her. "Y-your serious?" I ask. "Yeah, I finished because I was working on it the entire day." She explains. I chuckle. "What's so funny now?" She asks annoyed. "We were supposed to work TOGETHER, pick a book TOGETHER, and do it TOGETHER. You see the problem here?" I ask.

Jessica slaps her hand on her head. "Right, teamwork. I haven't really worked as a team before. Usually by myself because ... you know, people look up to you." I stare at the desk. "No, not really." I answer. "Oh ..." Now we're sitting in an awkward silence. I never really thought that her wanna be's just look up to her. Man, I just judged her all sorts of wrong.

"Well, let's just pick a book for the project. What do you want to write about?" She asks. She pulls out books from backpack. Twilight, The Hunger Games, what is this? "Those are some nice books, but couldn't we write about something ... shorter?" I question. She raises a eyebrow. "What do you have in mind?" She asks. "Well ..." and I bring out the book I wanted to do. Sky Jumpers. Jessica nods her head in approval. "One question though, what do you want to write about? As in theme wise?" She asks. Didn't think of that.

"Ummm ... do we have to write about a theme? What about the whole book?" Jessica looks at the rubric. "It says we could do that. Lets get to writing!" And before I even touch my pencil, the door swings open. Mr. Wires walks in saying, "Detention over. You two may leave." It's already time to go?! I look at my watch, my pokéball watch. It's 5:40 and school ended at 3:40. TWO HOURS!!! There's no way it could of been that long.

While I'm talking to myself, Jessica is already packing up. "Are you leaving?" She asks, packed up, ready to go. I start packing my things. "You look like you want to leave as soon as possible. Anywhere your going in particular?" I ask, shoving my binder in my backpack. My backpack is filled with stuff; extra paper, extra pencils, old work. I should REALLY clean out my backpack. Last time I cleaned it out, I found a cockroach in it. I immediately threw that backpack away. Anyway, Jessica answers, "I have a life ya know, I'm going to a party." "Sounds fun. Whose hosting it?"

"Roxanne, from choir. Her parents are out of town, so she's throwing a party!" Jessica says, waving her arms in the air. "Sounds like something from a movie." I comment. After she stops dancing, and I finally fit everything in my backpack, we exit the room. "Oohhh David, you should come!" Jessica insists. "Me? No, I'm the smart, boring guy who doesn't go to parties. Unless it's a really close friend." I've honestly been to only several parties, other than my own birthday parties, before. "Well your coming, no matter what. Come on!" And she starts running towards the back doors of the school. "Wait!" I say, running after her. She keeps running until she reaches a sweet looking corvette. She unlocks the door to the car. "You own a Corvette?" I ask.

"Well yeah. My parents are like rich." I just stop at the front of her car. "Come on Nerdy boy." Jessica also honks her horn. "I know I'm going to regret this." I say, looking to the sky. I walk to passengers side of the car, and get inside. Inside her car, the seats and wheel are leather, red and cream colored. I like her taste in cars.

"What do I tell my parents?" I ask Jessica, buckling myself in. "Just tell them your going to my house to do homework." "But that's lieing! I-" "Look David, I don't have time for your 'I'm the perfect child who never does anything bad', are you going or not?" asks Jessica.

I grab my phone add go to contacts. I press Mom. I put it up to my ear. She picks up after the first ring. "Hello?" "Hey mom, I'm going to my friends house to do homework ..."