25- Truth Prevails

At the Leagan's estate in Crystal Lakes both Eliza and Neil shared their opinions on how matters had evolved for each other. They both felt that whatever they had wanted sooner or later they managed to acquire. The conversation turned into an argument when the siblings exchanged their opinion on each other's choice in partners.

"What do you see in that Reed? He is such a spineless man." Neil stated.

"Oh yeah? Well that is for my own benefit. If he were of stronger personality I would have a harder time getting what I want and whenever I want it." Eliza replied with annoyance.

"What about your choice in wife to be? Ha! She is the girl that we both despised while she lived here. Candy has turned out to be a disgraceful woman who lived with a man for over a year without being married; your marriage to her will be a mockery." Eliza continued to say.

"I have my good reasons for carrying out my plans with Candy. Indeed I will be more than satisfied to have her as my wife since all I expect is for an idiot lost in love to lose her forever." Neil replied.

"I guess you are right in that Archie will be devastated. It sickens me to know that all three of the cousins had fallen for that girl. My Anthony preferred her to me. If he would have stayed with me that day of the fox hunt his life would have been spared. I dislike Candy back then, but after that day I hated her for taking away the love of my life." Eliza said as she reminisced.

"I refuse to waste my emotions and suffer as many a fool has suffered over loving someone. Love is not for me; I do not want or need it. It seems to bind you and destroy you and who wants that?" Neil replied.

"You say that right now, but when it strikes you I will be hearing a different story. It will happen one day and you will be telling me a different story. There is no immunization against love." Eliza said.

"The story I am to tell is that tonight the engagement party is on. I wonder if there would be any beautiful ladies among the guests that would join me for a romp in the garden." Neil replied with a snicker.

Yet as Eliza thought her plans with Reed were on the up and up, it did not take Reed long to become annoyed with Eliza's constant nagging and whining. Reed, at times, felt suffocated and made excuses in order to avoid going to visit her in Crystal Lakes. He stayed at work for longer hours and it was then Reed met a woman that truly captivated him. His previous secretary, an older and frumpy woman, was replaced by an attractive and younger woman. Reed was lost in love with the new girl and his feelings for her were returned as well. As the days passed he continued to visit Eliza even less at her home. Eliza was not aware of Reed's change in attitude due to her own wedding preparations. Reed tried speaking to her about his feelings but she simply told him to make himself useful with the preparations. He felt trapped and manipulated. Reed maintained these feelings to himself the night of Neil's engagement party but it would not be for long.

Sarah was excited that morning since her son Neil would be announced as Candice's husband to be. She was pleasant, even around her mother Beatrice (50) whom she joined with her father Charles Hamilton (64) for a brisk walk around the property.

"Dear, you look radiant today. I am so happy for you and for my grandson Neil to have found love at last. I wish him all the happiness in the world." Beatrice said.

"Thank you Momma, I am glad you and Daddy could be here to share this special moment with us." Sarah replied.

"We would not have missed this for the world sweet pea." Charles said as he kissed his daughter Sarah who was now thirty-seven years old.