26- A Love That Prevails All

After reading Gertrude's note, Roger remained in a state of shock. Sarah had to take matters into her own hands and ordered everyone to remain calm about all that had transpired at the Leagan home. She ordered for Colin Muir, Albert, and his personal assistant George Johnson to be rushed to the Leagan mansion immediately. Sarah knelt down on the cold marble floor with her husband as she tenderly rubbed his back.

"Dear, it is going to be all right; I am here with you and together we shall find a way to set order to all this. You will see that it will all work out. I will take care of you always Roger. It is a miracle; God has given me an opportunity to set myself straight for much wrong doing towards Celeste. I will not take it for granted. Candice is my niece and your daughter. I will welcome her with open arms." Sarah said as she grasped her husband's face and kissed his lips.

Roger was trembling as he began to regain his senses. He had suffered so much from the death of both his wife and daughter. A void in his heart had remained for many years; he did not allow himself to love with such intensity since Celeste. It was then when Roger finally led himself to open up that area of sentiment when he looked directly into Sarah's eyes and said the following:

"You have been by my side once before so lovingly and patiently to care for me and now here you are again to bring me your support. I can't thank you enough for loving me so. I... I do love you Sarah, I finally can say it." Roger stated as he began to weep while he embraced his wife. He felt a heavy burden being lifted. Roger's heart was finally set free.

Roger and Sarah were sitting outside Gertrude's room as Colin, Albert, and George arrived. The men were warned about the incident and proceeded to enter Gertrude's room. Gertrude's body remained hanging but had been covered with a sheet. The men took turns reading the note as amazement filled their eyes.

"Dear Father in Heaven, you are great. This is a miracle!" Colin stated.

"Indeed it is miraculous. My daughter lives and her name is not a coincidence." Roger replied.

Albert was silent throughout the ordeal; he only thought about Candice's reaction to the news. He was honestly frightened that Candice would not be able to handle such tremendous news. Albert feared he would lose her now that things had become more complex.

"How is she going to feel about being related to me? Will she still want me?" Albert preoccupied his mind with wonder.

"I suggest that you take the diaries along with the note and hide them. A different note must be reproduced omitting any words that jeopardize the reputation of the family until we can resolve this issue peacefully and quietly. The authorities must be given notice of the found body once a note is produced. If they were to ask why Gertrude did this you simply respond that she stole from you. The staff must be notified to stay put and to stay quiet. No one is to touch the body and leave everything in this room as it is. Albert, we must arrange a meeting with the rest of the family tomorrow morning. Let's pray it all goes well." George stated with authority. The new note read as followed:

I have caused you a great injustice. I know I cannot be forgiven for my wrong doing.

Gertrude

"Right away, I shall return to Lakewood and inform the family that tomorrow after breakfast we will meet. George, stay put until the authorities arrive. You can inform me of everything when you return home as I should be awake. I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight." Albert stated then left to the Lakewood mansion.