21- The Farewell of a Dream

Albert had pretended that his memory was still clouded, which indeed made him feel extremely guilty. Albert was tormented with the decision he took to pretend his continued ailment, while allowing Candice to care for him. Yet, he still contemplated the possibility of staying with her. He was torn with the choice of his return to his life of chains or the life of freedom he had lived with Candice for more than a year. Yet Albert's reality was clear. He knew Candice was in love with Terruce Grandchester and not with him; therefore the choice to leave became a more obvious one. He was certain Candice saw him with friendly eyes, as a close friend to another friend in despair or even simply as a nurse to a patient.

Albert thought of his dear Aunt Cora Elroy, the other family members, and the business that needed his immediate attention; there were too many people that depended on him and his return home. Albert contacted his family immediately and his good friend George Johnson after he realized he could not run away from the great responsibilities he was assigned. The sudden news of Albert's whereabouts was received with jubilance. Cora ordered to receive Albert with a great feast upon his return. Yet Albert gave his aunt the news that his return would take some time due to some pending responsibilities. Cora easily agreed with Albert on whatever he saw fit. She was consoled, while tears of happiness flowed through Cora's eyes.

While Candy resumed her life trying to overcome the rupture of the relationship with Terruce, she became displaced from her current position at the hospital. According to her employer, the good reputation of the hospital and the staff had been at risk due to Candice's imprudent choice of cohabitating with the unknown patient that had been released from the facility. Candice was able to find a job assisting the same doctor where Albert had been taken after he had been struck by the fleeting driver.

"I have such urge to tell Candy what I feel for her, what she has made me experience living with her, and even who I am truly to her. If I could only foresee her reaction as she would learn about my truth, I would say it all without hesitation of causing her any more disarray. I must at least try to show her or even say something in regard to my feelings. If I keep quiet any longer my mind and heart would not withstand it." Albert thought to himself.

Albert's hidden love for Candice would be shown to her by simple gestures and ambiguous statements. While attending a picnic Albert stated the wanton desire to share with each other their life issues as he symbolically gave Candice half of his sandwich while he deeply yearned to share his entire life with her. However, Candice's preoccupation with work, Albert's medical needs, the pain of the recent death of a close friend, and the break up with her boyfriend would not allow Candice to dissect Albert's words or actions.

Several months went by as the news about Terruce Grandchester's disappearance from his acting career was published. Terruce had left the invalid Susana Marlowe, his fiancée, to go in search of Candice in the Chicago area. Terruce unfortunately took a turn to drinking alcohol in order to forget the deep pain the break up with Candice had caused him. As by chance, Albert saw Terruce inside a bar causing an unpleasant scene. Albert entered the bar and tried to calm the drunkard Terruce. Albert found himself short on patience in regard to his Terruce's rowdy drunkenness. The encounter between friends ended up in a fist fight. As soon as Terruce gave up the fighting, Albert carried him outside of the bar and took him to see Candice.

Albert's heart was racing as the thought of Terruce and Candice's encounter. Instead, Albert took Terruce to a distant area that oversaw the clinic where Candice worked. Albert spoke honestly to his friend wishing to persuade him to return home to Susana and his acting career.