A Little Help

The APC lurched and came to a stop. It appears I was out of gas. I got out of my seat and forced the door open, that's when a blast of snow and cold air smashed into my face, freezing me to the bone. Knowing I had no choice, I stepped into the snowy mountains. But then I realized, there weren't any mountains around, only a long, winding path and snow. I cross my arms over each other in hopes that it will somehow keep me warmer.

I take a deep breath, instantly regret it, and walk on. It feels like an hour before I finally see lights in the distance. I stumbled towards them with newfound stamina. I now see the shape of a building with the lights.

Who would live up here?

My question is answered as out walks a tall man, around fifty or sixty years of age, and with a knack to be persistent as hell.

"DANIEL!" He roared, grabbing me into a hug.

"Yes...hello...Frank..." I gasp, his grip is tight.

Frank, my uncle, was not a conduit, but he could've been given his outstanding intuition. He always knew where to be and what to do, all the time.

During my one phone call in Curden Cay, I called him, telling him about Rowe and his breakout plan. I told him to find a good spot and wait up here for me.

He releases me from his iron grip to let me speak.

"Frank, how long have you been up here? That phone call was a week ago!"

"Pfft. It was nothing, came up here and found these nice people that let me stay with them." He responded.

People that let him stay? This can't be good.

"Come on and meet them!" Frank continued.

I followed him to the cabin and we walked inside. The room was warm and cozy, a good smell wafted from a door on the other side of the room. We stood there for about three seconds when a small, overweight man came barging in through the supposed kitchen door.

"Welcome!" The man shouted, "To my humble abode!"

The man scampered over to me and I saw he wasn't as short as I'd imagined.

"Nice to meet you, Daniel. Your uncle told me all about you! I'm Zeke. Zeke Dunbar." Zeke said a little too energetically, "I hear you are gonna help us take down Rowe, good man. Now, no time to waste! We need to hitch a ride to Seattle!"

I looked around. I was in the middle of a cabin in a snow storm, with my prison jumpsuit still on, and more tired than a single mother with three kids. Ok, so maybe that last one was an exaggeration.

I was about to say something when Frank talked first.

"Zeke. I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Daniel needs his rest. Being chased out of a high security prison doesn't happen everyday."

"All right. All right. We'll wait two days for him to get his energy back." Zeke responded.

"Thank you, Zeke." Frank turned to me, "There's a room upstairs with fresh clothes on it, go get some rest."

I walked up the stairs he pointed out and found the room. I grabbed the clothes and put them on, it was a black t-shirt, some jeans, combat boots, and a blue and black striped jacket. I got into the bed and thought about all that had happened so far.

Escaped a max security prison, stole a giant car, and met a new friend that wants to help. All in all, a successful day.

I closed my eyes for some much needed sleep. Little did I know that I wasn't going to get it.

Hey guys, I know it has been a while since I updated the book. I was busy with school and some personal things, but I found time today to write. Thank you for being patient and I hope you liked the new chapter!