chapter 22

the night was chilly when they stepped outside the lobby. cora shivered and rubbed her hands together, hoping for some kind of heat to flourish.

"here," isaac took his leather jacket off and placed it on cora's shaking shoulders. "told you you should've worn the jacket i bought you."

cora squinted her eyes at him, but bit her tongue from snapping. "thank you anyway."

"you're welcome." isaac looked at her with soft eyes and started heading towards the car.

some indie artist was ending a song on the radio when they arrived a few blocks away from the carnival. the traffic was horrendous and one of the three wasn't patient enough to wait for it to ease.

they got out of the car and started walking, hands dug deeper inside their pockets as the winds howled on their faces.

as planned, stiles was there along with scott. both were shocked to see cora walking behind kyle and isaac.

"cora.." scott's breath made a puff of cloud in front of him as he pulled the brunette in a warm hug. "you're back!" he smiled at her and looked at stiles. "have you told derek?"

"i'm not...going to stay here for a long time. i'm only here because i'm helping a friend." cora broke the hug and stood next to kyle. "his name's kyle and he needs your help."

"sure, i already about that-"

"cora?"

the whole group turned around and standing there was cora's older brother - derek - teeth chattering. he dropped whatever he was holding and ran to her, carrying her off of her feet.

"derek," she said. "derek, put me down we don't have time for this."

"i've been so worried." he let her settle on both feet before he was able to look for any difference on her face. same old cora with the same grumpy face.

derek pushed the strand of hair hanging loosely near her left eye and smiled at her. "i thought you were-"

"save it, derek. we have some time for that later." cora turned to scott who was watching them. "i'm assuming stiles has already told you what we're here for."

"all he told me about was that - kyle right?" kyle nodded. "that kyle needs some help finding this lady in black. you know, it would be much of a help if we know what she looks like."

"we don't know that part either because every time she appears it's like her face is all distorted. all i ever saw was her lips mocking me." kyle informed them.

"we'll split around in pairs then." isaac suggested. "we found a dress that belongs to her and if she's really going to be here tonight, then things would be much easier."

derek and scott sniffed the scent of the blue dress and coughed.

"too much perfume." scott commented as he puffed his inhaler. "it's too strong. how long have you had this dress? it's like the perfume has just been sprayed on."

"we've had this for days now and we only took it out of the plastic container once." cora looked at kyle. "someone must've spilled something on it."

"don't look at me." isaac said.

"guilty conscience talking?" cora gruffly asked.

"i'm pretty sure we didn't do it. cora didn't bring any perfume with her." kyle stepped in, hoping to supress the tension that was building up.

cora sighed and started massaging her temples.

"me and cora will search the area near the rollercoaster rides. the rest of you can decide what do." the rest of the group nodded and began discussing as soon as cora and kyle detached themselves from them.