All I Ask ||9||

I still remember that day so clearly. It was just after New Year's, my first day back at work. I came home earlier than usual because it had begun to snow heavily and they didn't want us to be trapped inside. I guess you weren't expecting me.

By then we had moved into together, leaving my apartment empty and cold. I remember stepping off the elevator, slipping my key into the lock, walking in on silence. I found it odd. The days you didn't work you were usually waiting for me with dinner. What was so different about that day? Were you sick?

I dropped my stuff on the armchair in the foyer and entered the living room. It was eerily quiet. I checked the kitchen, your office, and, finally, the bedroom. And there you were. Sleeping with her in the bed we shared at night. You looked so peaceful...like you didn't care about the oncoming storm. 

When it came, you both awoke with a jolt, staring at me, wide-eyed. I had screamed. Not out of anger or pain or sadness...no. I yelled out of surprise. I had never expected something like that from you. I had aways read you as the type to be cheated on, not the other way around. Boy, was I wrong.

The three of us sat like that for a moment, stalk-still, no one knowing what to do. I moved first. Or spoke, for that matter.

"All I ask," I murmured, my voice barely above a whisper, "is why?"

You had promised. You had told me that you would let me know when it wasn't working anymore. I'm not putting all the blame on you. I knew I had a hand in it, too. I was in denial for a very long time. But at least I never shattered the pact the way you did. At least I never acted on the feelings I had for him. 

I never did get an answer from you. She left, crying, telling me she hadn't known you had someone. And you...you were silent. Your face a mask of an emotion I don't really know. I gathered my things and left and you still didn't say one word. I sort of wish you had. I think I deserved an explanation. I was your songbird after all.