The Duals

"Ladies and gentleman, the longest event in the tournament has finally come! The event that will determine the strongest individual within their year, the [1 v 1] tournaments!" As soon as he finishes announcing that, a green, ethereal screen appears above the announcer's booth, displaying a tournament ladder.

In total, there was 276 participants, and there was going to be 9 rounds in total. The top 20 people in the leaderboard were put into reserve brackets, where they don't have to fight in the early rounds due to their rankings. Due to me being first place in the leaderboards, I am placed in the 5th round, two rounds before the quarter finals. Thoth was put into 2nd place on the leaderboard due to the previous event, so she was also joining in at the 5th round. She was also on the other side of the ladder, so we wouldn't be able to fight again until the finals.

The arena was shifted into four separate sections, each section having a different kind of landscape or environment. Each section will hold a duel between two combatants, the battleground changing locations every time. This set up will continue until the semifinals, where all four sections will be combined and the entire arena will be used as the battleground.

"The candidates this year for the strongest first year is a close contest between three students. The man who appears from nothing and barraging his enemies with bullets, the [Ghost Gunner], Pyrion Genada! The girl of darkness and ice, the [Shadow Princess], Thoth Farlite! Last, and certainly not the least, the girl who kills all with both her combat ability and her appearance, the [Angel of Annihilation], Aria Brynhildr!" The announcer makes the excited crowd even more hyped, the atmosphere of the crowd exciting me. But still, the introduction he gave for me only further increases my reputation as an indiscriminate killer.

"Now then, I shall explain two nice and simple rules. First, you restricted only to the area you've been assigned to battle in. Even a step out will get you disqualified instantly. Second, there is a 5 minute time limit to each fight, and going beyond that will disqualify both participants!" Several combatants and the crowd began booing at this, but the announcer ignores them.

"These rules are extremely harsh, yes, but I really do doubt that any battle will actually last beyond 5 minutes. With that, each section has a large amount of space for battle, so failing to follow these rules are near impossible unless you actually try to fail them. Now then, we shall begin instantly!" This calms everyone down, the crowd going back to their energetic ,and hyped state.

The first four pairs of fighters were called to their separate sections, and those waiting can head to the underground rooms until it's our turn. How do we know if it's time for us to come? The [System]'s a very convenient thing, warning us when we're about to miss our turn in an event we're in.

I don't enter the rooms though, rather, I entered the spectator stands to go see my parents. As I walk through the crowd of people, they all got up from their seats, left the aisle in order to clear a proper path for me. Some of them even threw flowers at me. Why would anyone throw such beautiful plants at me? Is that how unsightly I was, how scared they were of me? To the point where they would waste flowers like this?

"Aria, my beautiful little angel!" My mother squeals as she sees me, before leaving her seat and coming to give me a hug.

"How's it going, princess? You're really giving those other guys a run for their money, aren't ya?" My dad says with a proud look on his face.

"Oh, yes! Aria, where did you even learn how to fight like that!? You used everything that came into your hands so efficiently, it's like you inherited my blood, except for combat weapons rather than guns!" My mother showers me with praises afterwards, while putting me on her lap and hugging me. My dad was also patting my head while listening to my mother.