A Child Changes Everything. [Thomas Ellington]

"Oof!" Kelly jumped on your stomach, knocking the air out of you and jolting you awake. Her smiling face was the first thing to greet you that morning; the second was the empty span of mattress next to you. Just as panic began to set in, Kelly waved a piece of paper in your face.

"Daddy left this!" she said, shoving it into your hand. She then hopped onto the other bed and began jumping up and down on it happily. She loved staying at hotels. You unfolded the piece of paper to see Draco's messy scrawl.

Gone to get breakfast. Love you.

You stretched out your arms and legs after your much needed sleep. You grabbed your sweater that was on the ground by the bed and settled in next to Kelly, who had now found the remote and switched the television to Euro Disney. She stared mesmerized at the animated characters on the screen, slackjawed. By the time Draco came back, the credits were rolling for the cartoon and another episode was about to begin. He held two paper bags in his hands and a tray of two coffees and a hot chocolate for Kelly. A muggle newspaper was tucked away underneath his arm. You walked up to hug him, but instantly recognized distress on his face.

"What's the matter?"

"FOOD!" Kelly yelled, blatantly interrupting you as she ran and jumped up to grab the paper bags in Draco's hands. He gave her one and she opened the top, pulling out a bagel and biting into it without any cream cheese or jelly. Just plain.

"We have to go. Now." He said urgently, slipping the newspaper into your hands. You looked down at the headline in confusion, then gasped.

DEBUNKED WRITER FOUND DEAD; POLICE HAVE NO LEADS.

Draco was already in the process of gathering up Kelly's things and shoving them into her backpack. You and Draco didn't have so much as a spare set of clothes so you didn't have anything to pack. You threw on your jeans quickly and then started getting Kelly dressed.

"Mommy, I want to stay!" she whined, clutching her bagel defiantely.

"We can't stay. Check out is any minute."

She pouted as you picked her up and followed Draco out of the room and toward the elevators. Your stomach clenched, guilt flooding your body. You shouldn't have gone to see Artie Huggins. He was dead now because of you. Draco jabbed the down button repeatedly, even though you both knew that it wouldn't make it go any faster. Finally, with a dinging sound, the elevator doors slid open. A young man stepped out of the elevator hurriedly, shoving Draco's shoulder as he passed.

"Oi! Watch it!" Draco shouted. The man turned, allowing you to get a better look at him. His hair was slicked back in a ponytail, but you could still tell that he hadn't washed it in days. He wore a dark green travel coat and his shoes were worn down at the toes. He said nothing, just nodded his head in polite apology before continuing down the empty corridor. Something about this man put you in a state of unease, and you could tell that you were not alone in that feeling.

Elevator music played as you waited for it to carry you downstairs, but it did little to soothe you. Draco was fidgeting, his eyes darting around the tiny space in worry. Suddenly, his hand shot out to the panel of buttons and he hit the number 2. The elevator came to a stop, and he dragged you along the stairwell to the lobby floor.

"Mom?"

"Shhh! It's okay, sweetie." you whispered, but you could see fear creeping into her eyes. Draco motioned for you to step back and he cracked open the door to the lobby. Sure enough, four cloaked men were standing in front of the elevators, including the one that had passed you upstairs. Draco shut the door quietly and took your hand, leading you down another staircase to the underground parking garage.