Chapter 2 - I Once Had a Plan

-

        The following day gave me absolutely no break. As my alarm clock rang, I slammed my hand onto my phone, which somehow registered as turning it off, and simply laid there. I could already feel dark circles beginning to form underneath my eyes. I was tired, but not yet exhausted, and I wasn't ready to be lazy with my outfit yet. As I put on another skirt, shirt, converse combination on, I grabbed my backpack and was ready to return to the place I would go to for another 9 months.

        There was only light conversation between Blake, Finn, and I on the bus. Mainly, Blake simply repetitively asked questions about the boy. From this, I concluded that Finn had told Blake about him, much to my annoyance.

        Each day, my classes alternated between English and choir. In the previous year, it alternated between gym and choir, but for all students that are Sophomores and older, it isn't required to take any athletic class. Because I had English yesterday, today was my first day of choir.

        Much to my dismay, the choir began with a slow start. Compared to last year, this year's choir was every Sophomore choir girl combined into one class full of 70 students. Most of the girls either hated me, or annoyed me. Their first task was to open their assigned folders and read a note of advice that was given to them by the girl that had owned the folder in the previous year. My own note read:

        Dear 10th Grader,

        You are in for a treat! Cherish the memories you make this year because they will be some of the best you will ever have.

        Have fun,

        A Former 10th Grader

        I simply dismissed the note as I slipped it back into my folder. The teacher advised every student to hold onto their note, as each student spent time into thinking about what they wanted to say. I wasn't convinced that the girl had even looked twice at what she had written.

        "So what are your plans for this year?" I heard a chipper voice ask from behind me as the bell rang. Turning around, I noticed that it was none other than the infamous Laney, a trustworthy good friend of mine since the eighth grade.

        "Oh, well I'm not really sure. This year I kind of want to just keep things on the down low considering how crazy stressful last year was emotionally for me," I began to explain. "I don't want to deal with all that relationship drama again, and I just want to be cautious around the people I hang out with. I just want to focus on my classes this year I guess, and the League team."