Chapter 4 - Fortune Cookies

-

        "You're hiding something from me, aren't you Sage?" asked Laney as she turned to smirk at me. I was currently sitting in her car, and we were waiting for the light to turn green at the intersection. We had agreed to drive over to a nearby coffee shop after school and study for awhile.

        "Why would I want to do that?" I responded innocently. "You know you're my best friend, I wouldn't try and hide anything from you."

        She gestured towards my hand, which was fiddling with my necklace, something I always did when I was nervous or lying. "Really? Because your hand says otherwise."

        "Damnit," I mumbled under my breath.

        "So what's up?" she asked me, making a left hand turn at the next intersection.

        "Well, to start I guess, Blaine tried to harass me again," I began before getting cut off by a furious Laney.

        "And you haven't told me until now?!" she screeched. "I told you if he lays even a finger on you ever again, I swear, he won't be having children later in life."

        "Jesus Laney! You won't even let me finish!" I yelled over her. When she quieted down, I continued. "Adam came, Adam Rossman, and knocked him unconscious. Then gave me his phone number," I told her, showing her his contact information on my phone.

        Screaming with joy, she asked me, "Have you talked to him yet?"

        "I asked him out to Homecoming."

        "Please tell me he said yes!" she exclaimed, parking in front of the coffee shop.

        "We agreed to meet up there, yes," I replied. Her eyes were sparkling with joy for me.

        "You have a dress right?" she asked, but when I hesitated, she groaned. "Come on Sage! Ya know what, we're only going to study in here for thirty minutes. Then I swear, we are going out and getting you a dress. I don't care if it takes us all day, you have to look stunning."

        "But what about my history notes?" I whined.

        Laney simply rolled her eyes in response. "It can wait," she told me.