Chapter 2:Flashback

Everything hurt and I couldn't move. I had been beaten for the third time today and I had made up my mind. The door opened and in came the man with a drink in hand, as always. I was shaking. I never blamed this man for what he did to me, I knew it was the alcohol, but it was his decision to start drinking it. 

"Please. Please stop." I pleaded.

"Shut up, stupid girl. He said as he slapped me. I wouldn't cry. I didn't want to give this angry man the satisfaction of seeing me break. He had obviously had more to drink than usual because this time, it was more brutal. He had even brought a razor and cut me! That night, I had made up my mind. I was running away. I packed a backpack with the necessities: clothes, toiletries, and the 15£ I had. I grabbed my phone and opened the window. A quietly as I could I climbed out and ran. I ran as far and fast as I could and called one of my best friends, Mary.

Mary: Hey. What's up?

Me: Mary, I need you to hurry to the McDonald's nearest to my house and pick me up.

Mary: Why are you at the McDonald's?

Me: I ran away. Hurry, please.

Mary: Mmk. I'll be right there!

The call ended and I was left to wait in the cold air until Mary got there. Within 20 minutes I could see Mary's car coming.

"Thank you so much!" I said.

"No problem. Let's go!"

We got in the car and drove to Mary's flat. Mary knew what I had been through so I didn't have to explain. I stayed with Mary for about 2 months. I was still worried that he would find me.

One day, while Mary and I were playing Mario Kart, there was a loud knock on the door. We paused the game and she went to answer it, not knowing he was at the door. I heard the door open and a yell.

"Bella, RUN!!" Mary shouted. I followed her advice, knowing there was only one reason for her to be yelling at me to run. There was no time to grab anything so I just ran out the window and down the emergency stairs. I stopped to look for Mary, to see if she got out. She was running right at me. We both ran to the car and got in, faster than we thought possible.

"COME BACK HERE!!!" the man screamed. He chased us down the block.

"You have not escaped me yet! I will find you, sooner or later and that's a promise!" His voice faded away as we drove to our best friend, Madison's flat. We rushed out of the car and up to her apartment. Mary knocked on the door and Madison answered a minute later.

"Hey! What are you guys doing here?" Madison asked.

"He found us." I said.

"Oh. Come in!" Madison said cheerfully. "You guys can stay as long as you want. I see you guys don't have anything so we can go shopping tomorrow."

"Sounds great!" Mary said.

It was late so we all went to sleep. And the next day, we got up around 11 to go shopping for some clothes and toiletries. The next few weeks were extremely fun. We went out in town and played Mario kart a lot. One day, about 2 months later, Mary, Madison and I were walking down to the car when someone tackled me to the ground. I struggled to get away, knowing exactly who it was, while Madison and Mary were trying to help me. After all this time, I thought he would've given up on me but I guess not. Drinking was probably the reason behind it, as usual. I kneed him in the gut and we ran in the direction of the car while he was down. He was up in a few seconds but that was all we needed. He got to the car right as we locked the doors. Mary was driving and put the petal to the metal, but only until we got out of the car garage because we didn't want a ticket. That would only slow us down even more. There was one place we could think of to go: Madi's flat. All of my friends had flats, not houses because 1. A house was too big and 2. They were too young to own a house all of them being 17. I was 16, but lived with my family's house. Didn't really have choice though. Anyway, we had arrived in no more than 10 minutes and parked the car. When we got to the door, we knocked and Madi opened the door.

"Omg. Hey guys!" she said. "Come in!" We went in and shut the door behind us.

"Is it ok if we stay at your place for a while?" I asked.

"Yeah. But do you mind if I ask why?" she responded.

"Bella's dad is looking for her, and possibly us. We don't have anywhere else to go." Mary said.

"Oh. Well two of you can stay in the spare room cause there's two beds in there, but one of you will have to stay on the couch." Madi said.

"I'll take the couch." I said. After getting some food, we all crashed.

In a few days, we went to Madison's flat to get our stuff. We were careful to watch for you-know-who. (No not Voldemort! :P) It was fun staying with my BFFs, especially when we attempted to bake or played silly games, and yes, play more Mario Kart! When two months came around, I was very anxious. But surely, he couldn't find me again. Could he? I shrugged it off and went to get breakfast. Everyone up up and feeling lazy today. We decided to stay in and watch TV. At lunch, we went to Nando's because it's close to the flat. Madison, Mary, Madi, and I decided to play twister. It was very fun and by the time 6 rounds had gone by, we were super hungry, so we decided to order pizza. 20 minutes later, there was a knock on the door. Since, I was the closest one to the door, I answered it. Big mistake.

"I told you I would find you again." he said with a drunken smile.

"Guys, RUN!!" I screamed as I turned to run deeper into the flat.

"Whaaaa?" Mary said.

"OMG! MADI, MADISON. RUN!!" She shouted. We ran around the couch and out of the flat with Madi and Madison right on our heels.

"When we get out, you guys have to go the opposite direction as me. I don't want you to get hurt," I said to my best friends.

"What are you talking about? We're staying with you." Madison said.

"Seriously. Go the opposite direction and find somewhere safe. I can call you too, remember? Now go!" I yelled. The girls ran across the street and back in the direction we came. The man wasn't paying attention to them, as I expected, rather towards me, and I ran as fast my legs would carry me. I ran into a flat building and here I am.

I finished explaining.

"Wow. You must have gone through some rough shit." Dan said.

"Yeah. I should probably call Madi, Mary, and Madison soon tho..." I said.

"You should call them after you eat and rest." Dan said.

"Wait, Bella. Who exactly is this man you keep talking about?" Phil asked me. I hesitated for a moment.

"My father." I responded slowly.