Chapter 1: The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Handle With Care

Chapter 1: The First Day of the Rest of My Life

~River's POV~

Heart racing. Palms seating. Angels singing. It must be love. 

Present day, June 24, 2013

Today was finally the day that I got my own job. I know most people wouldn't find it that big of a deal, but I'm already 20 and haven't had a job once. I know, I know. Wow, what a loser. But really, I've never wanted one up until this point. My parents provided for me and I really wanted to focus on my career. Living in an apartment by yourself at 20, you needed some money that parents couldn't provide you. My music career. 

I was off to a good start. Next week, I would be going on an actual tour! Well, as an opening act, but still, a tour is a tour. Even as an opening act, I was ecstatic to perform. I'd only performed in front of an audience once in high lights when my friends encouraged me to do that stupid talent show. I won, but it was still extremely cheesy for me. They gave out participation awards. Seriously.

Back to the job I was talking about. Well, not really a job. I considered going on this tour my new job. And I had to start today, meeting the band I was playing for. Their band's name is R5. R5 because there's five of them and their names all start with R. I don't know how that worked out, but it was kinda cool anyway. 

When I was ready to go, I walked out of my apartment, locking the dorr behind me. My outfit consisted of a flowery sundress with white sandals. I checked my purse to make sure I had everything I needed.

Phone, check. Keys for the car and apartment, check. Wallet, check. Just the essentials really. I hurriedly walked to the elevator and impatiently pushed the down button. The elevator dinged and I got on, pushing the button to the ground floor. I was on the second floor, so it wasn't that long of a ride. 

I stepped out of the elevator and excitedly walked out of the apartment building, breathing in the cool, crisp air of summer. It was so comforting that I closed my eyes, just breathing in the fresh morning air.

I finally came out of my trance and hailed a taxi. Everyone made it look harder than it seemed. If you wave some money in the air, they come screeching to a halt.

I climbed into the taxi and gave him a piece of paper with the address written on it. He nodded curtly and drove me there.

It was a short five minute drive there. Not long enough to clear my racing thoughts, but long enough for me to control my emotions, which happened to be all over the place.

I climbed out of the taxi after paying the driver. I admired the their house before I even thought about stepping inside. It really was a pretty house. It wasn't too big or small. It was perfect. I was kind of jealous since I lived in an apartment, but that would only be temporary. 

I finally walked up the short sidewalk, past the white van, the blue car, and the egg-shaped car, and knocked on the door. I heard loud noises from inside the house and then an argument about who would answer the door. Oh dear. They're all boys, aren't they?

I mentally face palmed as the door swung open. There stood a tall brunette, towering over my small frame. He smiled down at me and stuck out his hand, "Rocky. I'm assuming you're River? Come in." I shook his hand firmly. He stepped aside and let me inside of the house.

"To answer your question, yes, I'm River. And this house is so pretty inside and out," I said, admiring the inside as I had the outside. The walls were white, covered in family photos. There were decorations neatly placed along the walls as well.