Chapter 4

You do not know how much time you have stayed in front of the inn, immobile, thinking about the conversation you've just had with Gray. It seems too good to be true. You weren't good with feelings, but you weren't blind either. When a guy gives a girl a flower, it is rare that he thinks of her only as a friend. No, there was a high probability that he loved you back. That thought made all fuzzy inside. You wonder what he'll ask of you. You might be mistaken and he'll order something hard or something to make you mad. Or maybe you were right and he simply wanted to spend some time with you.

You chase your thoughts away and finally enter the inn, the camellia still in your hands. It won't ever melt, since it was made by magic. You don't really want to admit it, but you really appreciate the gift. It was... romantic.

"You're back!" exclaims Lucy as she sees you walk in the common room. She was chatting with Erza, each of them sitting on the couch. Natsu isn't there and neither is Elfman.

"Yes," you simply respond as you sit on a sofa. "Where's Natsu?"

"He went to prepare for the next event. Elfman went with him," answers Erza.

"I see."

"Hey, where did you get that?" asks Lucy, pointing at the flower that you are still holding tight in your hands.

"It's none of your business."

"Is it from Lyon? Or from Gray?" she continues teasingly.

"..." You do not answer and turn nervously the camellia between your fingers. You don't want to tell Lucy anything. It was too personal.

"It's from one of them, isn't it? Oh, you-"

"Lucy, leave her alone," interrupts Erza, feeling empathy towards you. It was unfair. You were always teased, but you never could say anything about Natsu to Lucy. Also, no one dared talk to Erza about Jellal. But you, oh you, Lucy and Mirajane had so much fun messing up your love life! You simply couldn't be left alone. If Lucy knew about your rendezvous, she would get involved one way or another.

"Anyway," continues Erza, "You did a great job for this event."

"You think so?" You are surprised she isn't angry by your awful performance.

"Yeah. You fought well and you finished fourth. I say it's good for someone's first time participating in the Games."

"Yeah, maybe..." you aren't sure, but you take the compliment.

"Forget about Gray's betrayal. You'll get over it." The red-haired woman smiles at you. "Besides, Natsu's going to beat up everyone in the next event."

"You're right..." You take a deep breath and stand up. "I'll go change then."

"Okay. We'll wait for you to go at the arena," answers Erza.

You climb upstairs to your room and quickly change your outfit. It feels great to be in new clothes. You've chosen something nice and still comfortable. A little necklace is hanging on your neck. You brush your hair a little, wash your face and hands, and go back downstairs.

"I'm ready," you announce as you met Lucy and Erza.

"Great. Let's go," says the red-haired woman as you exit the inn.

"What's with the fancy clothes?" asks Lucy.

"Fancy?" you look at your outfit. "It's not fancy, it's just nice, I think. Nothing special about it."

"Of course..." She gives you a grin. "Got a date?"

"W-What?" You face flashes red and you look down. Yeah, it kind of was a date... Gray was coming to see you after the event after all...

"You do!" Her smile grows bigger and she hugs you. "I knew it! With Gray, isn't it?"

"Yes, okay? Now calm down, okay?" You push her back and continue walking. Erza simply smiles at you and Lucy.

"Finally! So what the plan? A pricy diner? A walk under the stars?"

"I... It's nothing like that, Lucy." You sigh. "Look, I don't even know, okay?"

"A surprise then... I hadn't thought Gray would be this adventurous...!"

"Heartfillia, for gods' sake, please shut up." You don't feel comfortable when people talk about your feelings, or dates. It's all kind of new to you.

But she ignores you and continues babbling on, completely fangirling.

Finally you reach the arena and you escape from Lucy by running to the part of the bleachers reserved to Fairy Tail. You quickly find a free place in the packed arena. It looks like the event is about to start. Everyone is cheery and happy, and you smile. You love this atmosphere.

"And now..." starts the commentator, "the awaited third event of the Grand Magic Games shall start!"

The screams of the audience are deafening. You put your hands on your ears for a moment, then the commentator speaks again and the crowd goes silent.

"Now, let's welcome the champions!"