Chapter one

Chapter one:

You're who?!

Morning, again, I manage to get myself out of bed, pushing myself up and to the bathroom. I grab my toothbrush and toothpaste, I brush my teeth slowly from the lack of sleep I get each night. Staying at work till 4am does that to a person. I make my way to the kitchen and I open the refrigerator but the only thing I could find is a bag of grapes so I pull them out of the refrigerator starting to eat them one by one walking back to my bedroom, i finish the grapes crumpling up the bag and attempting to throwing it and failing to get it in the trash can. I pull out a pair of skinny jeans and a three days grace t-shirt, In attempt to pull on my pants I fall on my back, making a loud thud. After eventually get them on, I make my to the family room and turn on the TV.

I finally turn on the crap TV to see my favorite cartoon, after I've been watching for A bit I get a text on the phone I saved so long for but it is still crap, from a friend of mine to turn it to channel 5 news. I first finish the show I'm watching, I click to channel 5 and the first thing I notice is how scared the reporter is. I tune into what she's saying and what she says leaves me shocked, I keep hearing it over and over in my head.

"The virus spreads fast, it spreads through bait, a bait from a person who has the infection. It's already spread over miles of the state, we still haven't got word back from anywhere so I recommend you collect your bearings and hold close ones who you love, in this time of the end."

After realizing what she meant I rush so fast to my little brothers room to see him still sleeping. I walk towards him lightly shaking him and calling "Spencer, Spencer" In responses he attempts to slap me. "Oldest trick in the book, little bro." I say holding his wrist a couple inches from my face.

"Okay fine, what do you want?" he questions

"Well first off did mom come home last night?" I question in responses

"No, she probably fell asleep at the bar, or dead." He says with no emotion, like he doesn't even care. It hurts me to see how little compassion he has because of her.

"O.. okay... Get dressed then come with me." I demand.

"Fine, whatever" Spencer says with a sassy tone

Sometimes I seriously think she doesn't care about us at all. She can't not love her children, i mean we're half of her and half of dad. Mom didn't love anyone as much as she loved dad, but when he left and she found out he didn't love her as much as she loved him, it killed her. It's been a long seven years since he left, with her drinking and..

"Hey, you okay Pepper?" Spencer asks with true concern in his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm good. Little bro" I say while scratching his head jokingly. " let's go find my mom, I'll explain what happening on the way there"

My phone goes off, I quickly look at it and it's a text from a friend, Greg. Saying that he's outside, and to get my brother and get to my car now.

"Come on!" I demand

I rush out to the front yard and there he is sitting in his old pick up. When he notices me, he gets out of the old truck and runs towards Spencer and I. Greg grabs my wrist and pulls me to the truck with Spencer is connected to me by the hip now.

"What are you doing?!?" I ask demandingly.

"You have to come with me it isn't safe here" Greg replies while shushing me.

"What's so unsafe, the virus?" I ask in a sarcastic voice. "The TV said to collect you bearings and keep those you love close, which we were going to do"

"What do you mean that's what you're doing, you have your brother, who else is there?"

"My mother" I answer starting to get frustrated.

"Your mother is a deadbeat who couldn't give a rats ass about you two" Greg says while he starts to raise his voice.

"Doesn't mean I don't care about her!!" I yell out of angry that he could think so little of her, my mother.

"Oh okay, we can look for her before we go to the bomb shelter. Is that okay?" He asks calmly, I look at him at the edge of tears and I saw the petty in his eyes.

"fine. Is this ok with you Spencer?" I turn to see him pointing and terrified, I look to what he's pointing at. It's one of the sick people, Spencer starts pushing me into the car and Greg runs over to the drivers side. I'm just too scared to realize it's getting so close. I can't move, what hell, what do I do. I get interrupted from my thoughts when a bullet goes through the man's head.

"What the hell!?" Greg blurts out. "You just that man!"

I soon noticed a man with a gun rushes over to us from the field , who is he, is he dangerous, will hurt us? All these concerns and I still can't move, I know I have anxiety but it's never been this bad before. Wake up, Pepper. Get over yourself, you have Spencer to look after, you always have. Now get over yourself and move, talk, listen.

"... What the hell dude, you can't just shot innocent people!" Greg shouted at the man.

"They aren't alive, you know" The mystery man replies

"No, they're just sick" I add in a small voice

"I am a army trained soldier, I've been tracking and studying this sickness for sometime now and the people studying it got sick, died and killed their families causing them to turn as well" The tall man explained

"Oh... Wouldn't you be sick?" Greg questions while starting to get protective

"No, I'm clean. I had a friend who was studying it and he told me all about it.." Mystery man starts looking upset

"Are you okay?" I ask in a comforting voice

"Yeah, I just really loved Terry" mystery man notes with tears in his eyes.

"Okay, let's go, please" I say as while getting in the car beside Spencer.

"Are you going to come with us dude?" Greg asks walking around the truck.

"Oh... Yeah" He says in response, he quickly picks up his rifle and gets in the front seat.

Greg starts driving the truck

"Dude, what's your name?" I ask trying get my mind off of Greg.

"Joseph, but you can call me Jo" Something about his name seems familiar, like I've met him before or he's a distant uncle or cousin or something. God this is going to bug me

"Okay, Joseph, this is Greg, my brother Spencer, and I am Pepper" I tell him

"It's nice meeting you" Jo says kindly.

A long pause of silence after that.

"Jo it's really bugging me, so i'm going to ask. do you know my family or something, your name is just really familiar sorry" I awkwardly ask

"Actually, yeah I do" He replies with a look of worry on his face."I'm... your... dad"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/n:

I started writing and uploading this to my Instagram page TWD_mostly_lol, I edited and changed changed it a little bit. the Instagram account has been deleted, but I will be posting it on this Wattpad every two weeks, if you enjoy it. I really hope you enjoy it, because I enjoy writing it.

~ Courtney