Chapter Two

Chapter two:

Falling apart

"I'm... your... dad"

"Wow, small world." I reply with a sarcastic tone, letting out a giggle.

"not really.." Jo whispers, thinking I couldn't hear him

A couple of, long seconds pass, until Spencer breaks the awkward silence asking "So, how long have you lived nearby and knew about us?"

Jo looks at us shameful "Six months"

"And you just left us with that b-"

"She isn't that bad" I cut Spencer off

Everyone is quiet for the rest of the time until we get the bar where our mother usually is. I jump out of the car to and sprint to the front door tripping over myself, I could hear Greg yelling in the distance but I didn't care to listen. I finally get to the door, I trip falling forward onto the door, pushing it open showing a lot of infected. I stand up slowly, checking if my mother is one of them, she's not one of them. I hear Greg yelling, I turn around and run faster than I've ever ran before, I could feel the ground rumbling from them chasing me.

"Get in the truck!" I scream at them, they get in the the truck, fast. I get to the truck and I turn to open the door and see what I was running from, I open the door, jump into the truck.

"Why aren't you starting the damn tru-" I get interrupted by a loud clunk from the truck.

"That." Jo says looking at the group of infected surrounding the truck.

All I hear next is gunshot after gunshot.One by one each infected fell to the ground. I turn to the last infected standing in front of truck the, it's mom! Once I realized it was her, she is shot right between the eyes. I rush to her laying there dead.

"You motherfucker!" I yell towards where the bullets were coming from. "That was my mother, you asshole!"

"It wasn't anymore." I hear a voice come from the side of the building. I turn to see a guy holding a sniper, he can't be older than 19. He's not all that bad looking, hey shut up brain, no.

"What the hell do you mean 'Anymore'?" I ask frustrated.

"They're dead" He says calmly walking towards me.

"Told you!" Jo yells from the truck.

"What's your name?" He asks walking closer, holding his hand out for a handshake.

"Greg." Greg says, looking at him like he would kill him.

"Nice to meet you Greg but I was asking the very angry little lady." The guy says looking at me angry.

"Asshole." I say walking to the bar.

"Pepper, what are you doing?' Greg asks me, not breaking eye contact

"While you two have your little staring contest, I'm going to find water and food. You know the apocalypse thing, life or death." I answer with attitude. Soon after I said that I could hear two sets of feet walking towards the bar behind me.

God, was that sniper dude hitting on me, and what the hell was up with Greg. I hate it when he starts acting like that, reminds me of before he got emancipated from his foster dad. They caught up to me at the door, and the look they gave each other when they got there was hilarious.

"What's the plan, little lady?" the jackass asks.

"What is your name, sir?" I sass

"Hector."

"Nice meeting you, Hector.I just have to set something straight, I am not little so don't fucking call 'Little Lady', got it asshole?" I demand

"Okay, fine. What's your plan, Pepper?" He asks respectfully.

"Just walk in the damn bar, stupid." I walk into the empty bar, first thing I noticing is a hunting rifle hanging on the wall, over a hunting knife. I take it off the wall, check if it has bullets, it does.

"Stupid people, alcohol and guns." I comment, smiling. I hear them both laugh under their breath.

I hold the rifle's scope at eye, getting position to shoot, finger off the trigger, breathe in, finger over trigger, breathe out, ready 3... 2... 1.

"Infected!" Greg yells. I turn and shoot, all in one movement, one shot to the head.

"Nice shot, but it's time to go." Hector says grabbing two jugs of water, Greg does the same, I put the rifle strap over my shoulder and grabbing the rest of the ammo. We rush out of the bar and there are infected all over truck.

"Spencer..." I whisper

"Come on, let's get to the roof, it'll be easier to pick them off." Hector whispers. Hector, Greg and I run around the building to a ladder. I get up and rush over to the ledge, I swing the rifle off my shoulder and get into kneeling position in one swift motion. I shoot nine infected, there is still a lot. Hector starts to pick them off, I notice Jo start to open the door, Spencer screaming for him to stop.

"Cover me." I demand.

I run to the ladder and see two infected, I pull out the hunting knife, I climb halfway down the ladder and jump over their heads, landing on my feet, i take them out fast. I run to the truck and there is infected trying climbing over Jo's torn apart body, but all could think about was Spencer's screams of terror. The thought of him dying fueled my anger, and I use this anger to kill five infected to get to the one in the truck, I stab the infected that's in the car harder than any other one.

"Oh my god, Spencer are you okay?"

But before he could answer I hear Hector and Greg yelling "Watch out behind you!"

I turn around to see Jo, but he's an infected. I fight to get him off, I manage to push him off me, he trips over himself and falls falls face first to the ground, I quickly stab him in the back of the head.

I turn to Greg and Hector who are walking over to me just standing there like a crazy person. "Pepper, you alright?" I hear Greg in a soft voice.

"Yeah, I am good, actually better than good I'm amazing." I answer energized.

"That was badass! Where the hell did you learn to fight like that?" Hector asks excited.

"Instincts, I don't know." I shrug

 I walk over to the truck to see if Spencer is okay. "Spencer are you okay?" When I looked through the car window I could see him laying there, not moving. I rush over to his door, and as soon as I opened it he jumps me. "He's infected." 

A/n: I know a cliffhanger, you must hate me. I am posting every week, well at least i'll try to post every week. I wrote the first four parts in one sitting, so I have a month ready to post, no rush while writing. Well see ya next week.