The One Where He Knows Who I Am

I pushed my way through the crowd around the large Christmas tree with the full intention of walking home. It was only a few blocks- okay, it's at least eight blocks- but walking all that way sounded like a much better option than sharing a car ride with Elliott, not that he was around anymore.

A mother pushing a baby carriage walked out in front of me, her petulant three year screaming bloody murder behind her, and I had to slow my pace to almost a standstill. The Easton Choir were lining up to start the Carol singing and so the crowd stopped to watch, making my escape that slighted bit harder.

"There you are!" A familiar voice shouted towards me. I lifted my head and found Elliott pushing his way through the crowd, closing the gap between us. Once he was through the throng of people, he rushed forward and threw his arms around my shoulders, pulling me into a tight hug. "I thought you left."

I eyed him suspiciously trying to determine exactly what his plan was, but all I saw was pure terror mixed with relief in his eyes. It unnerved me that Elliott looked at me like this because I had no idea what it meant. My belief that Elliott was only doing all this so he could add me to his long list of girls was slowly fading, but I couldn't formulate any better reasons behind his actions.

"Actually," I say, unable to look at Elliott. He said that when I lie, it's written on my face, and right now, I need him to believe that what I say is the truth. "I was just going to go home. I suddenly don't feel very well and I'll be really bad company."

There was a long silence before Elliott spoke, but when he did, I could hear the confusion in his voice. "Why are you pretending to be sick? Did I do something wrong?"

Yes. "No, Elliott," I say with a sigh. I push my hands into the pockets of my coat and shift my weight from one leg to the other. "I'm the one that did something wrong. Something really wrong. Look, Elliott-"

"Don't," he quickly cut me off, moving away from me to give us both some space. He rubbed his hands down his face and blew out a long breath before his eyes lifted to mine, a pleading look held within them. "Please don't. I know what you're going to say and I don't want to hear it because once it's out there, that means that tonight is over and I'm not ready for that. Give me the chance to finish this date and then we can talk about it." Hastily, he added, "If that's what you want."

Do you ever have moments where your head and your heart are at war, both telling you to do different things? It's like that moment I had back at the cafe, where my answer to a question would affect the way my life would turn out- if I stayed and saw out the rest of this date with Elliott, who knows where it might go. If I went home now, I won't ever know how this story ends.

Obviously, I have my suspicions about Elliott and his expectations but I'd learnt that I couldn't judge a book by its cover, especially if that book is called Elliott Anthony. Tonight, everything about him has surprised me and he's proven himself to be completely different to how he's perceived to be. Some say he's a sex obsessed, egotistical Adonis but I've seen the flip side to him; the side where he can be sweet and charming and humble.

"I might regret this," I find myself unexpectedly saying. "But, fine, I'll stay."

Elliott's smile beamed at me. "You won't regret it at all. I promise. Now, Phase Ninety nine of tonight is- drum roll- Carol singing."

Say what?!

I do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, sing. Even if my life depended on it, I would rather die than embarrass myself so publicly. I mean, yes singing in the caretaker was okay, but that was just in front of one person. Carol singing, with the crowd that Elliott pointed at? You couldn't pay me enough money to do that! I didn't have much of a choice, however, because as soon as the first song started, Elliott pulled me into the choir and nodded at me to join in.