Laney's Courage

Somewhere in America in a small anonymous town called Peaceville there is a garage. This garage houses the hopes and dreams of rock band Grojband and on this particular Friday night, like all other Friday nights were hard at work practicing.

“You were totally right Kin, Kon CAN eat the most cheese in one sitting!” Burped Corey Riffin, 15 year old rock go,d from his slouching  ‘I’m-so-full’ position.

“I know right?! It’s like his secret power or something. Man am I full!” Said Kin Kujira from a similar position.

“Cheese is good” Kon Kujira murmured from his sideways position.

Laney Penn was sitting on the edge of the band platform marveling at the idiocy of her band mates “Now that we have that important issue settled can we please start working on lyrics? We have a gig tomorrow and we don’t even have a chorus yet and-“

“Relax Lanes, everything will work out like it always does, no problemo. Trina’s  invited to the wedding too. We can just get her diary out again and-“

“Core, your sister is going to college across the country in 6 weeks! We can’t keep depending on her for lyrics-“ Laney pointed out.

“I know Lanes. And I’ll work on it, I promise,” Corey began his usual patronizing BS

“COREY!!!” Laney glared at him

Corey looked at her seriously “We can work on them tonight Lane.” He then continued his usual energy level “But first lets work on the cover songs the wedding party asked for. Where’s that list?”

Kin walked over to one of the amps “It’s right here. It’s pretty straightforward. First one’s Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.”

Corey pffed “Easy peasy lemon squeezy. We know that one fairly well, lets just run through it a couple times.” He said as he picked up his guitar.

“We’re not finished with this discussion Core” Laney picked up her bass and plugged in.

Corey grabbed the mic and winked at her “I know Lanes, I know.”

Laney stumbled for a witty comeback but her heart was beating way to fast for her to think.

“I’m Corey, this is Laney on bass, Kin rockin’ the keyboards, and my man Kon on the drums. We are Grojband and we’d like to congratulate the lucky couple. This Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.”

 And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

When sooner or later it's over

I just don't wanna miss you tonight