Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - Work

Early Sunday morning, the bands Lovestruck, All Night, and Height from Fortress Records were called in for a meeting. Joseph, the general manager, walked into the meeting room confidently with four boys with him. They all looked around the same age as Jae, all with bleach blonde hair except for one who had a sky blue streak down the middle.

"This is gonna be good." said Jae's bandmate, Sophia, so that everyone could hear her.

"Ha, ha, ha! Fresh meat!" Venice said, rubbing his hands together and smirking.  

"Be kind, guys." Joseph said, not expecting a reaction, the record company was known for their extraordinary talent and dedication, but also their attitude and lack of hospitality. 

"This is Tops, everyone, the newest addition to the Fortress community. They are an all vocal group consisting of two rappers and two singers." Joseph explained.

"A boy band?" Ryan asked excitedly.

"No." Joseph stated coldly.

"But they just sing, so they are a boy band, technically." Ryan persisted and Joseph ignored him. 

"What does Tops stand for?" Jessie asked, propping a foot on the table.

"Ummm, nothing." answered the one with the blue hair, becoming tense.

"Well, that's not what I see." Jae mumbled. Jessie giggled as the boy glanced over at her and Jae, obviously overhearing her remark.  

"Who's the leader?" asked Jae's other bandmate, Isabella.  

"Me." one of the boys spoke up, he had a deep voice for looking so young. Jae caught his eye and the boy grinned and winked at her. At that, Daniel, Jae's best friend, moved to sit next to her, glaring at the boy. 

Daniel had been Jae's friend since kindergarden and was very protective of her. She laughed at him, she was used to this sort of behavior from him and her brother and didn't mind it.

"You're so funny, Kiwi." Jae said and playfully punched him.

"Hey, just doing my job." he smiled and returned the friendly punch.  

"Venice, Jae, Ryan, please represent your groups and introduce yourselves." Joseph ordered and the leaders stood.

"Hi, I'm Venice Hemmings from All Night. This is our guitar guy, Daniel Jakob, but we call him Kiwi. Next to him is our drummer, Henry Kaye, then his twin, our bass guy, Ethan Kaye. We're not as mean as my sister might tell you, we're actually nice guys. Most of the time. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we probably don't look too smart, but trust me... we'll try. Ryan, your turn." Venice sat down and Ryan stood up. Jessie's eyes flickered as started to introduce himself.

"Okay, hello, I'm Ryan Henley and, ummm, I'm from the band, Height. This is Jon Gaul, the guitarist, then over there in the orange shirt is our tech nerd and keyboard, Nicoli Tate. The one with the afro is Elias Mills, our drummer. We're not mean either, just really hungry, so if you want to socialize, make sure you have food. Other than that, we're pretty cool dudes, if I do say so myself. Good luck, guys. Ummm, Jae?" Jae stood and sauntered to the front of the room. After Venice and Ryan's long speeches, it was Jae's turn to say something.

She started with a smirk, "I'm Jae, and this is Soph, Jess, and Izzy. We're Lovestruck and... yeah." She sat down and the girls nodded in approval for her speech.

"Very nice. I loved the complexity and thought that you put into that marvelous statement." Izzy said sarcastically. 

"She's the leader?" the boy with the blue hair asked.

"Yeah, and our best friend, so cut it out, rookie." Sophia said, getting up to leave. Eventually all the groups followed, leaving Tops and Joseph alone in the meeting room.

"I'm so sorry, boys, it's nothing personal, they just don't like rookies. I'm sure they'll warm up to you once they see your talent." Joseph assured awkwardly.

"Yeah, I'm sure." the leader said, his smile beaming with excitement.