Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - School

After the nice, awkward, but nice afternoon with Jack and Kiwi yesterday, it was hard for Jae to remember that Jack hated this version of her, Tiffany, this nerdy and defiant girl who Zayne was falling in love with. It killed Jae to even think about telling Z that the girl that he was in love with was fake.

"Tiff, can I ask you something?" Z asked while walking into the cafeteria with Jae.

"Sure."

"What did you mean the other day, about Jack."

"What about me?" Z and Jae would have jumped strait through the roof if it weren't for gravity. They turned slowly and played it off cooly.

"Oh, nothing. Never mind." Z said, still shaking slightly.

"You were talking about me, bro. I don't like it when people talk about me." Jack stood up from his seat and the crowd parted as Jack raised his hand to set up a punch.

"RookーJack! Stop it...or I'llー" Jae stepped between the boys, they were both much taller that her, but she didn't care, she would hurt both of them if she had to. It sometimes came in handy that she had been a black belt in karate for three years now.

"You'll what, nerd?" Jack teased.

I can't do it.

But I have to.

She grabbed his arm and flipped him over, making him fall hard on his back. He was yelling when Z grabbed Jae's wrist.

"Tiffany, let's go." Z pulled on her hand and ran back into the hallway, heading towards the roof. Jae trembled, the boy who she was finally bonding with yesterday was now laying on the floor, writhing in pain because of her. Z, still holding her hand, ran his free hand through his hair, sighing heavily.

"God, ummm, Tiff, I never thought you were so...strong... ummm, what did you do to him?"

Jae continued to tremble.

"His arm is just dislocated. My sensei says that that's the best way to get rid of boys, and I believe him."

"Really? Wow... but we have to dance today, do you think he'll be okay for that?"

"Yeah, he'll be fine." That was partly a lie.

"Okay, good. Thank you." Z looked down at Jae, his eyes clouded with emotions.

"Is it fun...to work at Fortress? I mean, do you like it there?" Jae couldn't hold the question back any longer.

"Yeah, the other groups aren't very friendly, but we deal with it." he answered.

"What about Lovestruck? I love them."

"They are easily the most talented group there, especially Jael, she's so skilled at everything she does, and she's funny, nice, down-to-earth, and beautiful too."

No. No, I'm not. I can't believe he would say something like that. He has to be lying. Or he's not. What if he's serious? What if he actually loves me? What if I love him?

"That's so cool. You're so lucky to have a girl like that." Jae was eager to hear what he would say.

"Oh, no, I'm single, and besides, she's not as sweet and cute as you." Jae blushed.

Single?

I thought for sure I wouldn't be the only one he had his eye on. Not that I thought he was a player, but I thought that he, being the oldest of the group, would have tons of groupies around him all of the time. Maybe he was alone in his classes everyday instead of skipping them with girls like I thought he did. Why didn't I believe him? I guess just saw him and Tops as teenaged delinquents and never looked any deeper. Maybe he is all alone like Jack.

Jack.

I'm so sorry.

"Zayne, you are so sweet, I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything, Tiffany. You don't have to." Z wrapped his arm around her shoulder and smiled at her.

Don't do this to me, Zayne. Don't make me choose.

You or Jack?

The fake me or the real me?

Honestly, I feel so real right now. I feel like this is me now. This disguise is not just an act, it's reflecting who I wish I was. Who I wish ....they... would let me be.

He turned her to face him and smiled, that smile. Priceless. He caressed her soft pink lips with his fingers. Jae wished this was real, she wished she could go home to a normal family, that she didn't have to go to work and practice songs for twelve hours straight, that she could have friends without lying to them.

But she couldn't say anything.

"Tiffany! What did you-" Jessie came running up the stairs with Nathan. Jae and Z look over, both startled.

"Z, don't you remember what Joseph said about that?" Jae and Jessie understood. Joseph was always telling them never to date fans, but no one actually took it seriously.

"Nathan, it's my business." Z said forcefully.

"Sorry, dude." Nathan raised his hands in surrender.

"Hello??? Tiffany! What did you do to him, he looks really hurt." Jessie said, pushing past Z to stand in front of Jae.

"He's a baby, it's normal that he overreacts." Z said.

"I wasn't asking you, dumbtard." Jessie snapped and focused on Jae.

"I just dislocated his arm. Nothing more." She said.

"Oh, then maybe he's right. He's probably overreacting." Jessie said then mouthed an apology to Z for snapping at him.

What have we gotten ourselves into now? Jessie thought, thinking about the pure hatred in Jack's eyes that she saw as she left the cafeteria.