Chapter 4

Only now I turned and found myself in a dimly lit room with a female sitting at the base of a bed. She looked almost double my age, in her mid-forties, her face stained from crying and bleeding from some unseen wound. I almost crawled to her having lost all my strength from struggling.

"I need help, please. He is going to kill someone, I heard him over the phone. We need to stop him. I need to find a way out, I can't die here, please" I was sobbing horribly.

She put a hand over my face and spoke in a calming voice "Calm down child, its okay".

I was going to protest but she held me in her gaze like a trance "You can't help, you can't stop the Devil. Lucifer will not stop until he has destroyed everything he thinks is pure or sacred".

"Devil? Lucifer? No, I am talking about him, Ronnie" I stated very confused.

She nodded her head and continued "He is Lucifer. You see dear, the Devil is real. He is not a little red man with pointy horns and a forked tail"

"I saw how he looked at you. He can be very seductive, enchanting and beautiful. But you should never let his charm deceive you. He craves for your desires".

I stared at her in disbelief. "I think you are mistaken, you probably are in a shock right now."

"I am not crazy, girl! What I say is true. He once was an angel, an angel who longed to be human, and that's what made him crush and burn, the taint of human stink. That's what made him fall."

Something in her voice made me want to believe her. She smiled at me sadly and continued "He was a good angel, loving and caring. His revolting nature made him question so many things and he finally broke the most important code of conduct, to never fall in love. He did fall, and it was for a human, a girl as beautiful as you. And he was punished for that; he was banished, robbed of everything that he was, a punishment so cruel that it burned him for eternity."

She stopped to lick her dry lips "Since then he has been as cruel and unforgiving to everything that was innocent, that breathed life. He will not stop till end of time".

Before I could ask anything more the door flung open and there he was looking furiously at us. He had changed to a vest and jeans and was clad with his gun and a small broad sword hanging by a holder from his waist belt. His tattoo more lively now as the snake wrapped him along his chest and left arm and its eyes golden with fire. Another man stood behind him. They came and before I could act he gripped me while the other man dragged the woman from her place. We were pulled forcibly to the garage and pushed inside the back of a van.

I know that we drove for some time through the city as we stopped at intervals at road signals and I could hear occasional honks of passing by cars. I felt helpless as our hands were tied to some clamp inside the van and our mouths taped. Soon we reached our destination I think, as the vehicle stopped with a shriek. Then the back door opened and we were pulled out and into a dingy looking building. As we entered a particular room I saw a man tied to a chair. He was beaten badly, blood dripping from the cuts. He looked tired from a prolonged torture. The woman was thrown to the man's feet. Her ties were unfastened and the duct tape removed from her mouth so that her wails were prominent now. He appeared to be unconscious from fatigue but her wailing woke him up. He looked at her with great effort and a mixture of longing, sadness and desperation crossed his face. As I watched them I was pushed ahead and Ronnie held me firmly by my waist.

"You have me now, then why are you not leaving her. Let her go, she has nothing to do with this." the man shouted but his voice sounded very low and tired.

"I am not going anywhere without you" the woman replied still lying on her side.

"Sarah, let me handle this" he tried to pull his body as straight as he could despite the bindings and looked sharply at Ronnie. I could feel pride and courage radiate from him. Ronnie tensed beside me as his grip on me went tighter.