Chapter 1-The zoo

*About one year has passed since "Drifting Away." *

I live on a zoo.

I know, people don't really live on zoos.

But the zoo is my backyard. The zoo has forty seven different animals and fifteen zoo keepers.

To be honest, I live on Rosemoor Wildlife Park. It's an adventure.

I'm Lily Miska. I'm thirteen and I'm in eighth grade.

Dylan is my best friend. He likes to draw, and he's fourteen. Dylan's likes to keep to himself, but we're really close.

Sometimes, he's in a really bad mood though.

I'm a thirteen. I don't experience everything that normal teens do. I mean, I live with my cousin and I rarely ever get to see my parents. It's okay though, because I'm doing what I love. 

But I experience special things.

Today, right here and right now, just felt-

really special.

I gazed downwards towards Dylan's drawing. "What are you drawing?"

I leaned over toward him. Dylan doesn't reply; he just gazed down towards his drawing with a confused look.

I shifted my body towards Dylan, trying to get a better glimpse of the drawing.

We were sitting on the steps to his porch. It was late in the afternoon, and the day had been really hot. It was getting cooler, and a slight breeze was blowing.

There were thick and thin lines all over the page, going horizontal, vertical, and diagonal. All in a black ink as dark as midnight. 

Dylan's drawing didn't look like anything, to be honest. It looked like Dylan had gotten a five year old, a ruler and a crayola marker and had them draw all over the page. The interesting thing though, was that Dylan didn't use a ruler and his lines were ridiculously straight.

"I don't really know." Dylan finally finishes. Not taking his eyes off his drawing, he has a confused yet hopeful look. "Do you like it?" He asks quietly.

I stared at him for a moment.

I don't want to lie. "It's a cool drawing." I answered, giving a good smile. I gazed out into the sunset. I saw Rosie petting a peacock.

Dylan just nodded back at me. 

I tilted my head and gave a reminiscent smile. I remembered the days when I was little, when all I had to worry about was whether I would get to watch my favorite TV show or not.

"How's Lucy?" I called out.

Rosie looked up at me and got up from her knees and stopped petting Lucy. She gave me a smile. Rosie was wearing a sundress and I had tied her hair into ponytails wrapped with ribbons. She looked adorable. 

I had a couple things to get done at home, but it was such a beautiful day. Those things could wait. 

"Got any homework?" I asked Dylan, curious. It was near the end of the year, May, and most teachers were just having you study for tests. I didn't have any homework, and I had studied ahead for my tests.

Dylan, not taking his eyes off his drawing, gave a sigh and said, "A lotta studying to do."

I turned towards Dylan. Dylan was still focused on his drawing.

"Want help?" I asked Dylan. I know Dylan-he's a big procrastinator. He's not too big on grades, or homework either. He's just so focused on his drawings.

Dylan gave a "pff." "I'll just study tomorrow." Dylan replied, coloring his "picture."

"Your never going to study." I replied, unveiling the truth. 

Dylan gave me a bored look. "What's there to study for?" 

I couldn't believe Dylan. He really didn't care about school. "Everything." I replied, with a harsh tone. "You have to watch out for your grades." I wanted to help Dylan. Dylan was on the borderline for his grades, mainly because he doesn't try. He's intelligent enough, trust me.

"Just drop it, okay?" Dylan finally looked up from his drawing. He had a annoyed tone and his face looked angry. "My grades are my business." 

I pretended to shake it off, but he was really bothering me. 

A voice came from the house. "Dylan! Rosie!" I could tell it was Benjamin, probably calling them for dinner. 

I didn't want to interfere with their dinner or whatever Benjamin needed them for, so I decided to leave. I had to help Kelly with some house work. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" I began to leave. 

Dylan nodded, and began to walk into the house, completely absorbed into his drawing.

"Bye Lily!" Rosie called, going into the house. Rosie gave me a wave before slamming the door shut.

I sighed. I was so jealous of Dylan. He mom may have died, but he definetly had a loving family. I mean, his dad was always having deep conversations with him-conversations I really envied. His sister always tried to make him feel better whenever he was feeling low.

I have Kelly. Trust me, she's a great cousin but she's more like the older sister I've never had. I can't really talk that deep with her, I normally talk to her with schoolwork or zoo work, nothing really really deep or important to me. 

As for my family miles away-it's confusing.