Sam

I don't normally dream when I get knocked out, but this time I do. It's visions from my past . First day of Kindergarten, Mom and Dad holding me, Dad letting me win at checkers, Mom not letting me win at chess, Mom and Dad bringing Michael home, and their disappearance at my 7th grade awards ceremony. It's been 9 years, but it still haunts me everyday. I know it wasn't my fault, but I could have done something. Anything. Dad looked so anxious, and Mom, who's rarely emotional, even looked tense. When I asked what was wrong, they both just laughed and said it was because their baby boy was growing up. I managed to convince myself that it was true, but now I wish I could've done something. Anything. When I received my awards, Dad gave me a thumbs up and Mom waved and smiled, but when they thought I wasn't looking, they started looking around anxiously. I should have investigated then. I should have convinced them all to leave. But it's too late now, and I guess there's no use dwelling on the past. After the ceremony, I went to find them in the crowd. Mom was on the phone, gripping Michael's little hand, and Dad was looking more anxious than ever, giving every passerby an accusing stare. Finally, Mom hung up, and gave Dad a meaningful nod. Dad swallowed. "Sam, you're 13 now. You're a man now. And I think it's time I gave you this." He held out our family  pendant, with our seal , a Japanese cheery blossom (Our parent's families immigrated together  from Japan during WWII. The Japanese heritage was- is evident in both of them, but oddly never in Michael or myself). He tried his best to look proud , but I could still see the fear in his eyes. The pendant normally didn't get passed down until the heir had children of his own. "Your mother and I have to go on a little....errand. " He paused and nodded confidently. "We'll be back ," he said, still nodding, probably more for himself than me. "Take care of Michael while we're gone." He winked , clarifying that everything was going to be all right. He pushed his glasses up his nose, patted me on the head, and he was gone.
Mom started to say something, her usual all-business self, but suddenly her brown eyes saddened and she ran forward and hugged me tightly, dark hair slipping out of her bun. She sighed, let go of me and stepped back, gripping my chin so tightly I felt her fingernails cutting into my skin. "Take care of Michael. "
"Okay Mom."
"Promise me." Her eyes had lost their sensitivity, serious and intense. "I-I promise." She seemed to relax. "Good. Go to Paradise, Ohio, as soon as you can and go to this address." She handed me a piece of paper.
Apt.7210
Japanese Gardens cmplx.
Paradise, OH
"Go on the three o'clock bus to Paradise and tell the driver 'cherry blossoms travel west'. " She gave me a parting nod , and she too was gone. By the time I thought of going after them, or even asking for bus change, they were far gone, and not just by distance. I vaguely remember walking the three miles to the bus stop, and my confusion when I saw the red-haired green-eyed bus driver and started stammering about bus money and she just smiled and said to sit in the seat behind her.

Wait. Green-eyed? Red-haired? Now that I think about it, that woman looked almost exactly like Lily. But that's not possible. She must have been at least 25, and Lily couldn't have been more than 3 0r 4 at the time. Who is she?! I start panicking, and I feel myself waking up. I blink awake, and my thoughts about Lily are immediately extinguished as I see Michael and Lily sitting side by side against the fireplace. You've got to be kidding me. The girl knocked me out with a lamp the last time I saw her, and now she and Michael are all buddy-buddy? She's speaking animatedly, and he's sitting crisscross applesauce, elbows on his thighs and chin resting on his hands. He's watching her with the strangest expression, eyes soft and this weird smile, like he's in love with her or something. Haha, Sam , you're funny. She turns to face him, and- WHAT?!?!