Chapter Six

Siya

I couldn't let go off the smile that seemed to be permanently pasted on my face at the moment. Finally things were as crystal clear as the water and I couldn't have been happier. Though a part of me felt horrible that Sooraj had to face all those years alone, but that phase of his life was now over. My phone buzzed to the sound of an incoming call that broke the silence in the room. The displayed name on the screen made me smile further, like it was possible, but it did. 'Just calling to check whether you reached safely, it was late.' The concern in the voice that I heard spoke volumes. 'You don't really need to have a reason to call me every time you know!' I heard him chuckle at the other end and I joined him in the laughter as well. 'So what's your plan for tomorrow now that your car is in working condition?' I decided to go ahead with a flirty retort, 'About that, even though it is completely fine I still think it needs a day's rest!'
'Oh! But I don't think I can afford to get late again tomorrow!'
Such an unromantic fellow he seemed to be, I was glad this conversation was taking place on the phone and he couldn't see my face right now because it was clearly sad and disappointed.
'Hello? Siya?'
'I'm still here!'
'Hmm. I hoped you'd at least say that you'd get up early tomorrow and that we'd reach on time!'
I was surprised at his reply, he wanted to accompany me to the office? 'I love my dreams and it takes time to come out of it! I don't think I can get up early!'
'Doomed! I thought now that your reality was as dreamlike it would help but I guess not!'
I furrowed my brows together, 'Why're you so keen on pulling my leg right now?' I heard laughter on the other end, the infectious laughter that sent shivers down my spine and which ended up curving my lips upwards.
'I always do that! I love pulling your leg darling, that's me!'
Darling? Did he just call me that? Ooh my! This definitely isn't good, I was falling for him harder than I could've imagined.
'Anyway I do not want to add up to your reasons of getting up late with this phone call, sleep well. I'll see you in the morning!' Wait! Do I say it?
'Sooraj wait!'
'Hmm!'
Do I say it? No it was too soon! What if he doesn't like it?
'Goodnight Sooraj!'
Shit! I bit my tongue, disappointed at myself, Goodnight? Well done Siya!

The next morning I decided to surprise Sooraj. I was ready even before he called to say he was leaving. Quite satisfied with myself I decided to wait for him downstairs. I heard the car screech to a halt in front of me before I even heard Sooraj's surprised voice, 'Look who's decided to surprise the world today?' I closed my eyes and shook my head disappointingly before opening the passenger side door, 'you could've just got happy instead of being mean!' I looked on to see his face split into the most enticing smile ever that were making my knees wobble! I would've just fallen on the ground if it wasn't for the car door that I was holding onto for support. The rest of the journey was spent in amicable silence until the massive building in front came into my eye's vision. I raised my eyebrows and exhaled deeply before turning to glance at Sooraj who was deeply engrossed in driving at the moment. He sensed my gaze on him or maybe he was going to stop the car since we'd arrived anyway, I don't know but he did stop the car and turned to look at me, 'So ready for the day Ms. Architect?'
'Not really!'
I closed my eyes and rested my head on the seat quite lazily, 'I wish this ride could go on forever.' I heard him chuckle, 'I'll be back to pick you up in the evening then maybe we could go out somewhere!' I waved him off and started towards the office.

It was four in the evening when I finally found time to check my mobile. An hour left before I could leave this place and have fun, I couldn't believe I was actually looking forward to going out with Sooraj. Was it like a date? I blushed at the thought. I unlocked my phone and decided to text Sooraj and ask him when he was planning to leave his workplace but the phone was blinking indicating the presence of a text.

Sooraj: hey I guess we'll have to schedule the plan for some time later! Going to be stuck in here for long! I might not even be able to come pick you up.

I was sad, maybe something even beyond the word could express, but I decided to not let it show.

Me: It's ok, some other time maybe, you work along, and I'll get a ride home!

I was just about to put my phone inside my bag and call it a day when it buzzed again.

Sooraj: No, wait! Rohit has volunteered to come pick you up, he says he hasn't met you since forever.

I was angry now, why had he asked Rohit to come pick me up? It was one thing if he had volunteered for it himself but this was something I couldn't take in. I was so angry that I decided to not reply to him at all. I decided to start packing my things and leave when my ringtone blared cutting the silence of the room. It was Rohit. 'Hey kiddo!' My anger melted as soon as he had called me that! 'What time do you leave?'
'About that, Rohit, you don't really have to come all the way out here, I can manage!'
'Are you kidding me? I really want to meet you.'
'Yes so do I but this isn't fair on Sooraj's part. I'm not a burden for him which he can pass on easily. I can manage on my own very well!'
'Oh ho! I see the anger directed at someone! But I'm coming anyway, I'm near your office right now! What time do you get free?'
'I was just leaving!'
'Great! I'll be there in five then!'

Ironically this time I was waiting for my best friend to drop me home when in the morning I was hoping to go out on a date with.. with.. who was Sooraj to me? He wasn't my boyfriend right? Rohit honked twice to pull me out of my thoughts.
'Sorry! I was just..'
'Lost in thoughts!' he finished it for me while I made myself comfortable in his sedan. After a few minutes of silence Rohit voiced his question, 'What is wrong with you today?' I looked at him confused. 'You were angry back when I called you'
'It was supposed to be Sooraj who was going to come pick me up, and if it wasn't possible for him he could've said so and not pushed it down your throat! I'm not some excess baggage that he has to carry everywhere.' I retorted back angrily to which Rohit let out a small chuckle, I expected laughter but a chuckle was definitely better! 'Kiddo! And I call you that because you really are one! Things have turned out to be great for the both of you I see and I couldn't be happier, but you need to know that they're moving on too fast. May be not for you because this is all new to you but for someone terribly hurt in the past it could be scary!' I looked at him my eyes wide open, I hadn't thought of this point of course. Come to think of it, things were actually moving quite fast between us.
Looking at me he continued to elaborate further, 'You have to think for the both of you at times now Siya!'
'So is he running away from me now?'
'I don't know about that, and probably I'm not the person who can answer that as well. That's something you need to find out for yourself and probably now you do know him a bit more better than me'
I shook my head exasperated, 'I don't even know how to behave with him now? Do I give him space or do I behave the way I am?' I was glad he chose to ignore that question because somehow I knew he wasn't the right one to answer that, I had to find that out for myself and I knew it in my heart that this was one relationship I had to nurture with patience.