Chapter 8 ~ Choices

[Concept art for Jewel was requested, it will be added in the media, ignore genderbent Astrid, or don't, you do you <3! Hiccup's backstory is slightly altered for Smoke reasons, this was how it was for Jewel and Hiccup when I was on IG RP. I had to keep it for the story, sorry.]

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III was tired of leading. It wasn't an easy task when a nightmare creature took residence in his body and constantly threatened to emerge and attack those whom he loved, particularly his younger sister who'd once struck a nerve of his that left him forever furious, but for reasons he wished to deny. He was flying when the thought of him had come along. Toothless continued his pursuit in to the sky, eyes scanning the skies for any sign of the guardian while Hiccup's eyes looked to the ground to see if he could find any strange or erratic ice formation that would indicate that he was in trouble. Smoke, however, took this moment of solitude with Hiccup to attempt to persuade him to free the nightmare within.

“You know what's interesting about darkness, Hiccup?” asked the voice penetrating every normal thought that the chief attempted desperately to have.

“I don't care,” responded Hiccup aloud, the only being within earshot being Toothless who'd grown used to his worrying talks to himself. The reptile couldn't understand, after all, what was being said. But even he could sense the dark force threatening to emerge.

“It consumes all in its path,” Smoke continued regardless, “Hearts break, terror reigns, you humans showed it all so clearly. Your own village was a source of darkness for those dragons. Your own little pet is — what did those books say? The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.”

“I don't care,” Hiccup repeated calmly.

“Darkness, however, can also merge with its own. Darkness can find one of its kind. Like war, pestilence and conquest are tailed by death; darkness is followed by its own."

“What's your point?”

You need me.”

“You would really be surprised how much I don't need you.”

“You need me. I'm a part of you that you can embrace. You're a good chief, Hiccup. You think of your people, your family, your friends. So let me out for their sake.”

The young chief began to contemplate the option laid out for him. He hadn't intended to; he knew Smoke and he knew well that the creature would easily unleash Hell upon the lands. Nightmares were one thing but Smoke had grown from that. He'd been contained within Hiccup for so long that he'd adapted to the world, and any time he was capable of emerging he would study, learn, adapt his power to be one of the greatest creatures of mass destruction. He was amongst Pitch's most prized creations, although even Pitch feared the day the nightmare grew overpowered. Hiccup knew that Smoke could locate Jack. What he didn't know, however, was if he could truly trust him.

He had to weigh out the facts; Smoke had grievances against people, people close to him. This included Jewel, someone Hiccup cared for more than his own life after the death of their father. In anger, Hiccup knew that Smoke was capable of so much as murder. He could never forgive him for the death of his mother — caused by the creature himself, punishing Hiccup for misdemeanour towards him by bringing his nightmares to life. But Smoke had also protected him. The death of Hiccup Haddock would result in the rise of Smoke. The nightmare was another consciousness and all it required was a body to thrive and survive. He could've easily allowed for Hiccup's death but it never occurred. On several occasions, Smoke had forcefully taken control in order to protect him. This brought him back to Jewel again, however.

It had been a time when Smoke emerged. Hiccup had been knocked unconscious, and the nightmare had seized the opportunity to meet his sister. Initially they had been fine, however it was the mention of Valka that had struck fury in both of them. Smoke did not take well to the poor, grieving girl shouting and screaming in anger, and had attempted to take her life as he had taken her mother's. He was volatile and unstable, and Hiccup couldn't trust him. The obvious decision was to not allow him out.

But Hiccup had think again.

Even Smoke was capable of goodness. Aforementioned, he had emerged to protect Hiccup on several occasions and despite their argument, Smoke had the tendency to protect Jewel when he could. Whenever he emerged he was always kind to Toothless and rarely harmed the village other than causing mischief here and there. He had helped the Alliance preciously, never against Pitch, but often against threats of war. He was strange, but a living entity nonetheless. He had feelings. He could help.

I know what you're thinking.”

“What?”

“Hiccup, I'm in your head. I know what you're thinking. Sure, I've done a few bad things, killed a few people—”

“You killed my mother,” Hiccup growled, his grip on Toothless' saddle tightening at the mention of the innocent woman. Toothless briefly glanced back, but soon kept his gaze focused forward on flying.

“.. Yes. Perhaps I did. But put that behind you a moment. You're a chief, think of the now. You need to protect your people. You need to find your friends. And for that, you need me.”

I can't find him without you!”

“Don't lie to yourself when I know where he is.”

“What?”

“I said I know where he is.”

“N.. No you don't. You're lying so I let you out.”

“Want me to prove it? Fall with me, Hiccup.”

“No.”

Fall with me.” The lure to obedience was strange but strong, a potent power forcing the chief's hands to release the dragon, to slip his feet from the secure holds at the sides of the reptile's body. Toothless felt the movement and let out a grunt of disagreement but Hiccup seemed entranced by the thought of finding the guardian, but worse, the thought of allowing Smoke to be the one to do so.

“Don't let me get hurt..” Hiccup mumbled to himself while he leaned to the side, and then slipped off the body of the dragon, who immediately dived to catch the falling figure, but darkness engulfed him before it could.

A flash of light exploded behind Hiccup's eyelids and he swiftly opened his eyes and gasped for air, the feeling engulfing him one that made him believe for a moment that he had died and everything he believed and heard in those moments of falling were a lie, an illusion of the passing of his life.

Where was he?

While his body still felt as if it was falling, he appeared to be stood in a room of darkness. Black walls, black floor, black ceiling and a small desk. It was the chains that alerted his attention and the faint cry of shock of a recognisable friend.

“Jack—” he stammered in confusion, turning his head towards the sound but blinking in shock. Vision blurred, voices hollow in his head, Hiccup held the wall to attempt to gain his balance and sense. But it seemed futile. The ringing in his ears was louder and his heartbeat continued to thump loudly like drums of war. It seemed Smoke did know precisely where Jack was and it was his intention to show him, and he did so as he promised. “Jack.. Hold on, Jack, we're gonna.. Find you..” he managed despite the unfocused mind trying desperately to identify the location. He turned to the windows, plain. And looked through them. Darkness, of course. What else?

He was slipping away, he knew it. Whatever memory or dream Smoke was showing him was fading and soon he would be falling again. Hiccup looked around desperately. He couldn't see Pitch anywhere, only shadows floating across the walls. Only Jack, restrained and struggling against his chains, only the candle flickering erratically.