Chapter 8 ✧

Chapter 8

"You can't leave me with him."

Mark just gave me a bored look. It was morning, and Peter decided to go and look around the island. To cover more ground, Paul suggested that we go in pairs.

Confident that I was going to be paired with my cousin, imagine my shock when he told me that he was going with Andrew.

"Then who am I going with?" I asked him, hoping desperately that the odd feeling in my stomach was just hunger and not because I somehow already knew the answer to my question.

Don't say it, I chanted in my head. I am begging you, please don't say his name.

"You're going with Peter." Paul was the one who broke the news. He said it so nonchalantly, as though it wasn't that big of a deal.

Well it is a big deal, bud. I thought sourly. A huge, out of this world, no words can explain, deal.

Right now, I just stared at my cousin accusingly.

"Look, Wendy," Did he just roll his eyes?! "You're being way overdramatic."

"I trusted you." I hope he caught the betrayal in my voice.

"We partnered with whoever we got along with best. It's been this way for like, forever."

"You're all friends, it shouldn't matter who you're partnered with." I pointed out.

"Yeah, that's true." He then gave a shudder. "But we're scared of Peter. If you haven't noticed, he's still kinda pissed that you're here. No offense."

"Then why leave the reason why he's pissed off with him?!"

Honestly, these guys make no sense whatsoever.

Mark shrugged. "He never gets mad at you."

He must've noticed the confused look on my face, because he then added quickly, "I mean, he doesn't get mad at girls. You know, manners and all"

I was unconvinced, but there was still the bigger problem on hand.

"But Maaaaark..."

"Are you two done?" We immediately straightened ourselves at the sound of his voice. "We should get going already."

Throwing one last hopeful glance at my cousin, he just shook his head in response.

You're on your own. He mouthed before going off to Andrew.

Dear, sweet, loving cousin.

Turning around slowly, I met Peter's gaze. He had a brow raised, and I just sighed.

"Let's get this over with." I muttered as I moved towards him. I hung my head in defeat. "I am resigned to my fate."

"You make it sound like it's awful to be with me."

"Well you haven't proven otherwise."

We glared at each other before he held out an arm, a mocking look on his face. "Shall we then, milady?

I rolled my eyes at that and continued walking. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner I could get away from him. I was aware that I was going in some random direction, but my pride wouldn't allow me to stop.

"You do know," Shivers went up my spine as his breath tickled my ear. "That you're going the wrong way, right?"

I jumped away from him, holding a hand up to my ear as he looked at me in amusement.