My Opinion Doesn't Matter [[04]]

I sighed feeling a large amount of hot air fill my lungs. It made my hair feel heavier and the dress seem tighter. The party had been heated up, not like one of those teen parties where everything seems to be 'heated' up, but the temperature in this place seemed a thousand times warmer. It was December out, but did a house this big need to be heated up this much?

"Excuse me for a moment." I said quietly to Val.

"No problem." She whispered back before engaging back into her conversation with Jason.

For the whole hour I had been talking to them I really had only said a few words. All they talked about were things that were of little interest to me.

Walking around a bend, a large hallway stood in front of me. Lights dimmed, walls covered in paintings and pictures. You could barely see the end as the lights dimmed as you walked. The clicking of my heels filled the hall as I slowly made my way down. The voices and music started to fade and the heat was disappearing as I was nearing the end of the hall.

Paintings from animals to people to plants, everyone a little different from the rest ahead of it. Just as the hall came to an end and there was one painting left something caught my eye.

The lights were fully out now, but two glass doors showed a porch. I glanced behind me making sure nobody was watching as I let myself walk towards the doors. My fingers slide over the handle, slipping on the cold metal. They gripped tighter and I pulled down opening the door.

A burst of cool air blew into my face causing a shiver to run up my spine and go throughout my body, but it felt good. Instantly all the heat rushed out and left numbness.

The snow blew in circles on the land. I put a rock between the door and the frame so I wouldn't totally be locked out as I bent over and unstrapped the killer heels that were on my feet.

As soon as they were off I set them aside and let my foot dip into the snow. The top layer melted quickly as my body temperature dropped. A tingle ran up my foot as I set my whole foot in the snow having it be engulfed. Another army of nerves went off, my foot going number than before.

I pulled it out slowly laughing to myself. It was funny how when feeling numb nothing mattered, how when I was cold all the miserable feelings went away and I was left with only myself.

"Are you okay?" I jumped at the sudden voice, quickly spinning around. I squinted for a second seeing nobody.

"H-hello?" I stuttered stepping closer to the door for safety.

"Are you feeling alright?" With that a figure stepped from the snow and onto the porch. My shoulder dropped as I noticed that Kaden guy from before walk towards me.

"You just scared the shit out of me." I told him running a hand through my curls.

"Funny you should say that. You did the same to me." I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Huh?"

"The laughing to yourself and you putting your bare feet in freezing cold snow?"

"Oh that..." I paused for a second sliding my heel back onmy right foot. "I was really warm inside and it felt really good to dip my foot in the snow." It wasn't a total lie, but feeling the numbness wasn't something I would just tell anyone I just met let alone have known for awhile.

"Gotcha." He didn't look like he believed me, but he pushed on the glass door. "Smart. I forgot to put a rock here."

I glanced over at himand nodded. Who was stupid enough to lock themselves out of a mansion like this... let alone not be able to get back in it?!

"So why are you out here?" I asked making small talk.

"Eh sometimes when parties are at your house it gets annoying knowing that anywhere you go people will follow you and ask questions." My eyes opened in shock.

"Wait this is your house?!" He cocked his head to the side fora second before nodding. I bit my lip feeling alittle embarrassed. "So you're Kadie's older brother?" I asked. He shook his head before he replied,

"Nah younger brother. Jason’s our older brother." I wanted to mentally slap myself for not paying attention to Val's conversation with Kadie and Jason.

"Gotcha." I replied looking at my feet. I had forgotten to put the other heel on, but it didn't make much of a difference. Both feet were numb by now.

"Do you want a smoke?" He asked. I looked up just having enough time to put my head through a ring of smoke. Instantly my lungs tightened causing me to cough rapidly. "Whoops sorry." He snickered for a second before throwing the cigarette into the snow.

"How can you smoke?" I asked. He shrugged.

"You get used to it after a couple of years."

My eyes widened once again. How many years had he been smoking and I was pretty sure that his parents wouldn't want him smoking. It could cause his many diseases and... maybe his parents didn't care. Mine did wanting me to stay alive long enough to get into college and possible take over the family businesses.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked. I snapped out of my thoughts and shook my head, but my teeth chattered letting my body tell him itself. "Come on." With that he opened the door and kicked the rock back outside and walked in. I grabbed the door before it closed and followed him back into the dark hallway.

"Can I ask why this hallway is so dark?" He glanced behind him to look at me before stopping and responding.

"My father liked things like this, the contrast between dark and light. He did this to the hall before he passed." I looked down as we started walking again feeling bad that I had brought up something of a loved one who had passed...

___________________________________________________________

Okay, no Ronnie isn't some wack job or a crazy person. The life she is living in is hard and stressful for anyone who has to do it. Sometimes it's just nice for her to let it go, drop everything and just pretend it's not there.

Short chapters.... they will be in the near future, but they will disappear and I promise longer chapters will appear. :) Thanks for reading!