My Opinion Doesn't Matter [[11]]

“Ronnie!” I jumped at the voice that yelled my name. I rushed over to my door, wrapping my towel tightly over my body. I opened the wooden door and peeked my head out to see Beth standing with a box in her hands. She smiled and knowing what she meant I opened the door wider and stepped aside so she could come in. She kicked the door closed with her foot as I sauntered over to my bathroom, dropping my towel and sliding on my panties and bra.

“New?” I called from the bathroom obviously referring to the dress. Beth understood of course. That’s just how she was.

“Well, not quite. New to you wearing it, but not new to you seeing it.” Confused, I walked through the bathroom door and into my bedroom seeing the blue sparkly dress. Immediately I understood and nodded. Beth smiled and dropped the dress onto my bed, walking towards my bathroom. “I’ll let you put it on then I’ll do your hair and make-up, the party is starting in an hour.” I ran my fingers across the silky fabric, ignoring Beth’s words and just sat down next to the dress.

I had no say in what I wore even though I loved the dress. It wasn’t much of my style with the long skirt and the way it flared out. I was one who enjoyed shorter dresses, but I could only wear those on my days off, never to any parties. They weren’t for ‘young ladies’ as my mother would say.

Laura wore short ones because she was younger. I was grown enough to wear longer ones and soon I’d be off to college. I wasn’t the same little girl that I was that ran around, playing with my older brother outside wearing short dresses all the time.

“Veronica?” I snapped back to reality, forgetting about the past when I would wake up and make my own decisions, when Michael still lived in the house…

“Yes?” I questioned, looking straight at Beth. She sighed and waltzed over to where I was sitting.

“You don’t like it?” She guessed, sitting beside me. I shrugged. She smiled weakly, brushing the back of my hair to try and get the last bit of water from it. “I think you’d look gorgeous in it.” She told me. I just smiled back at her even though she couldn’t see it from where I was facing.

Beth was more of a mother to me then my actual mom. She tucked me in at night when I was younger and read me stories. My parents were always too busy for it. Come to think of it, all of the staff in my house was more of family to me than my actual family.

I saw them everyday where I say my father about every two to three days. James cooked me breakfast, lunch and dinner every time I ate at home. Katrina made me dresses, by hand for crying out loud! My mother wouldn’t be caught dead with a needle and thread. The maids I saw every morning in my room making sure it was clean.

Michael I hadn’t seen in years and Laura and I only play together when I have to babysit her which doesn’t usually happen because my parents pay others to do it. I saw Lily, who I only saw at school on maybe on the weekends more than my own mother. Heck! I had seen Kaden more times this week than anyone!

“I know you don’t want to go down there and deal with another party, but it’s for your brother. He’s getting married and I know Katrina would be delighted to see you in her dress.” I smiled. I would love to see Katrina’s face when I came down the stairs in her dress.

“Ronnie?” I glanced up to see Michael walking past my bedroom door.

“In here!” I called, pulling the dress up and over my body so he wasn’t seeing his little sister in her underwear.

“Oh, okay, there you are. The party’s almost started, you aren’t ready?” I looked up to see Beth getting off the bed and walking towards the bathroom.

“Just about.” I answered, laughing at his tux. He frowned.

“What?” He asked, looking down. “Is there something on me?” I shook my head vigorously, trying to simmer my giggles.