Dear John - 4

Chapter Four

A White Backyard

"After two years, you're finally my bride." John sighed, holding Kimberly from behind in his arms as they looked around at the reception. They did as they had originally planned; a backyard wedding in his mother’s backyard. There were very few people there, but they were all smiling and hugging each other. In the trees, lining the backyard hid Christmas lights, along with long curtains that blew around in the wind. It was everything she'd wanted.

"I told you, you had to make your way back up to being my fiancé." Kimberly smiled, reaching up on her tippy toes to kiss her husband.

It was true. They had begun dating again, and every time he popped the question to her she refused and only said, "I'm not ready to take that step again, John." After two years, it seemed he'd finally shown her how much he really loves her. Kimberly looked down at her gold band, admiring how the sun glinted off the engraved words.

Dear John

At first she protested. Those letters weren't really a good memory, but then again they were the reason they both were standing here. If it weren't for his letter, she wouldn't have been there that night. And if it weren't for her letter, he wouldn't have been at the wedding and saved her from making the biggest mistake of her life. John held his hand next to Kimberly's and looked at his ring.

Dear Kimberly

He chuckled and hugged her closed, "I'm thankful."

"For what?" She asked, laying her head on his chest. She could hear his heart beating; slow and steady, while hers beat faster than a rabbit.

"For all the bad. It's brought me an eternity of good, and I'd relive it any day, just to prove how much I love you." He smiled.

She let the conversation end at that. They swayed in the middle of the backyard, dancing to the sound of wind running its fingers through the trees, people laughing with joy and the song of birds. Kimberly had found her happiness, and so did John. And it all began with a letter.

The End