Chapter 1: The Breakup and the Deal

SAM

"Meet me at our spot. Need to talk. -M."

I stood up and put my bowl in the sink. What did Matt need to talk about? And where had he been last night? He was supposed to be home by now from Las Vegas.

Yes, you may be wondering, "Umm, why the hell did you let your boyfriend go to Vegas??" His mother lived there, and he actually visited her there every couple of months. Or at least when Marianne felt in a complaining mood. She didn't like to use the phone much. Or at least, if it wasn't to call and bitch me out.

As I locked the door to our apartment, a thought came to me.

Was he proposing???

My mood started to brighten as I got in my big black Chevy truck and started down the road. Maybe the reason he was late was because he was getting a ring?? A wide grin spread across my face. I was ready for this. I loved Matt, and he loved me. I would gladly spend the rest of my life with him.

When I reached the park, I saw him immediatley sitting on the green bench where we had shared our first kiss in 12th grade. When he heard the unmistakable rumble of my truck, he stood up and stuffed his hands in his pockets. He didn't look like he was about to propose. I pushed that thought away, and scurried over to him.

"Hey!" I said, stretching up on my toes to give him a peck on the lips. "How was your trip?"

His face flushed and he looked down at his feet. "It was..uh, good. Fun." he told me, but wouldn't look me in the eyes.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him, my eyebrows pulling together. He sighed, and finally looked up at me. His eyes were sad.

"Sam..I'm breaking up with you." he said, looking me straight in the eyes. I felt my face freeze. What?

What??

"What?" I whispered.

"I'm sorry, it's just..I'm not feeling it anymore." he said, and took a step backwards. What? How could he do this!? We were in love! We were living together, we'd been dating for two years!!

"Why?" I asked. "What happened?"

"Nothing exactly happened. Well..I mean...I met----"

"Baby!!" came a cutesy, high-pitched voice and something blonde attacked my boyfriend.

Ex-boyfriend.

I watched painfully as him and his attacker shared a quick, but passionate kiss. When they pulled apart, she turned towards me.

"Hi! Are you a friend of Matt's?" she asked me sweetly. Suddenly I was enraged. He met this chick, and didn't even have the balls to tell her he had a girlfriend?? That he'd had one since highschool!? I took in her appearance with disgust.

She was about the same height as me, maybe a little shorter, with creamy pale skin, bouncy blonde curls, and bright blue eyes. She looked like a fucking barbie. Oh, and can't forget the humongous boobs.

I was about to answer her ridiculous question, when Matt intervened.

"Um, Babe, how bout I meet you over by the gazebo. I've just gotta finish up my conversation here, kay?" he offered. My ears lingered on the word 'babe'. Matt had never called me babe. After she left, I started questioning him.

"So. Where'd you meet your new toy, Babe." I asked him haughtily. "Vegas? Or you pick her up at Wal-mart on the way home?"

"Actually, my mother introduced us." he said, giving me an icy look. Oh, of course. Marianne had always been trying to get rid of me, and now she had finally done it.