Part 4

Kim was wailing now. I did my best to soothe her so I rubbed her back, not saying anything. Because nothing I can say would change her past and remove her pain. I admire her. She's so strong; no wonder Chris fell in love with her.

"So I ran away from our village, just like they told me to. When I knew I was far from home, I stopped running and I walked through other villages with tears running down my cheeks. Everything was destroyed. I'm alone, with no food or anything. I kept walking but I would stop every once in a while to find food in deserted homes. I didn't know that it was already three weeks since I left home. It was already my seventeenth birthday. I knew because as I was walking, I passed a small store and the radio was playing. It announced the date. April 17, 1975. I kept walking until I reached this city I've never been to before. Then I met this man. His name was Tran but he told me to call him Engineer. He offered me a job of a bar girl and that he would pay me money and give me a room for shelter so I accepted. I learned that we were in Saigon. And that night, April 20, during my first day working in Dreamland, I met Chris." She stopped sobbing when she said his name.

"Chris was unlike the other men in the club. Every time one of the girls wearing bikinis would approach him, he would look away. I was wearing a white dress and I felt awkward and out of place and I noticed Chris casting me sidelong glances. Then, thanks to John and the Engineer, we talked as we danced while a marine plays the saxophone. I tried to copy the other girls and tried to talk to him in a flirty voice but it irritated him." Kim chuckled as she relayed to me the story of how she and Chris met.

"Then when the time finally came, he didn't get mad at me for my lack of experience and he didn't even bed with me that night, because he knew I wasn't ready. I fell asleep and when I woke up, he tried to pay me into leaving the bar. I didn't accept it and I could say we got into a fight. I told him all the pain I've been through and then he asked me to live with him. I immediately said yes. And I declared my love him through a song I've written when I was just fourteen." My ears perked up as she said this. So, Kim was a songwriter? Well, nice ways into making men fall in love with her.

"Kim, do you mind if you sing me the song? Even just a few lines of it, please." I asked her, and her eyes shone as she nodded at me. "Oh yes! I am happy to share with you our song of love."

uB}xU