Part 5

"You are sunlight and I moon, joined by the gods of fortune. Midnight and high noon, sharing the sky. We have been blessed you and I."

Her voice was high and crystal clear. She was now in a trance-like state, staring dreamily into space. But then she turned to me and said, "That was the only line I've wrote. But our song grew longer because Chris himself is good with songs; in fact, the next line was by him, on the spot. So anyways, to continue, we had a ceremony in Saigon and he promised me he'd bring me to America. I was so happy during our wedding but of course, the demon arrives. My cousin and my betrothed, Thuy came and tries to take me away, but Chris comes to my rescue. When Thuy and the others finally leave, Chris and I dance to the tune John played on the saxophone and that night, I finally agreed to sleep with him. The next day, he left me his gun as he went to the embassy. And I heard from neighbours about the commotion so I quickly got dressed, brought my belongings and papers in a bag and went to the embassy. They didn't allow any Vietnamese inside and I saw John punch Chris and pull him into the last chopper. He saw me and shouted 'Kim, I'm sorry'. I went back to our room, and then after a few weeks, I found out I was pregnant with Tam. I grew hopeful and I survived for my baby. After three years, Thuy, now the commissar arrives once again and threatens to kill my baby so I shot him with my gun." My eyes widened as Kim revealed to me what she had done. She killed. She murdered somebody with my husband's gun! Kim looked at me and she continued, "I know you think I'm a bad person for what I've done and I am guilty for killing him, yes. But, I had to do that to keep my son safe. He's all I live for and I'd give my life for him. So, with the help of the Engineer, I and Tam are here in Bangkok." She finished her story with a smile despite her tear-streaked face. She wiped her face using her hands and gave me a genuine smile. I love this woman already. I won't turn back anymore. I'll leave to give Chris and Kim's story a happy ending.

leuse}<U