Chapter 3: Cracked

*Esme's POV*
There I stood, next to this beautiful chestnut haired fool, twiddling my thumbs and trying not to make eye contact. I know Cameron meant well honestly, and she's never failed me before, but at the moment I just wanted the tension to cease.
"We should all hang out during Christmas break," Cameron declared, looking around for reactions. Chris looked up, as he was subtly sneaking glances at me. "Yeah, that'd be fun. Where would we hang out?" Chris asked.
"Probably my house, my dad's really chill and won't care. I don't even really have to ask. I'll text you when you guys should come over when I figure out a day. One second, I'm checking when costumes day was." I see her lightly press her phone screen, then push aggressively, and throw her phone at the ground with an "ugh! This damn phone is so stupid."
Pedro and I just roll our eyes, since this is a daily occurrence. While in Pennsylvania, her mother bought her a fancy otter box, knowing how destructive her daughter could be. Cameron could easily be the sweetest person at this school, but she was definitely not the gentlest. So, Pedro and I were used to this and stood not phased. Chris, however, hadn't seen this before.
"Bloody hell Cameron! You could've broken your phone! Why would you do that?" And with that, a smirk crept across Cameron's lips that only I was able to detect. She walks over to her phone, secretly turns it off, and cues her acting skills to work their magic.
"Oh my god, I wasn't thinking. It's not turning on!! I'm not going to be able to get a replacement for a while because you need your parent in the store and my dad hates interacting with people! His phone's been broken for two years, he just won't get it fixed! Oh my god, what am I going to do? Esme, hold my hand," Cameron babbles on, ending her monologue by hugging her friend, muttering two words into my shoulder. Trust me.

" Hey Esme, since it's a Friday, can you spend the night?" Cameron questioned.
"Yeah, I think that's fine."
Just then, Cameron looked deviously, like her plan had fallen into place.
"Hey, since Esme's going to be with me, she can just text everyone the plans while I fix my phone!" That sneaky bitch, I thought to myself. Like read off a script of a bad sitcom, Chris chimed in,"Um, I don't have Esme's number..."
She squeezed my hand and I knew what she was going for. I took a deep breath. "Here, give me your phone. I'll put it in for you." We switched phones and exchanged numbers, just as the bell rang. I held Cameron's hand and grabbed my bag.
"Hey, she's my girlfriend. Why are you holding her hand?" Pedro spoke up and I noticed Cameron get a bit upset.
"Because you won't," I snapped and walked away, Cameron wheezing next to me from laughing so hard.
*Short Cameron POV*
As I walked away with Esme, I felt very grateful. I was dating the boy I crushed on for months, but it just didn't feel right. We didn't hold hands, we didn't kiss, and we barely hugged. I understand that you don't need those things in relationships, but I couldn't help but feel like something was wrong. Esme could say things that I only dreamed of saying. She was sassy and I loved her.
As we walked on, I finally turned my phone back on to see I had a text from Chris.
From: Chrisikins

Thanks for getting me the digits. You're a true friend. Plus, nice acting skills :P

I tried to silence my laughter as I send back a heart and I keep walking to fifth period with Esme.