Merry Christmas

It's been months since I joined the pack, I love it here. Winter has hit and snow covers the ground like a blanket. Christmas is in a couple of days, I want to get Kate something special but I'm not sure what. I see her walking towards me with her ten-year-old rottweiler named Daddy, I don't know why she called him that. She sits next to me, legs dangling off the side of the bridge.

"Hey Percy, a few of us are going to town today and I was wondering if you'd like to come with", she asks.

"That'd be great", I say and smile.

"Cool we leave in fifteen minutes", she tells me while smiling back.

To make money or get things that the pack can't make or hunt, we sell the animals we don't need to the butcher in town. The town is a couple of hours away though, so we only go once or twice a month. We all load into the two trucks we have. Kate and I end up riding in the bed of one with two of the deer that we are selling. With me talking to Kate, the two hours pass quickly and soon we are getting out of the truck.

While Alex goes to sell the meat to the butcher, everyone spreads out. I go with Kate to a small bakery to buy bread and sweets. We are standing near the window when I happen to look up and see mistletoe. When Kate looks up at me to ask a question, I kiss her. She's shocked at first but slowly kisses me back. I pull away a couple of seconds later. She looks up at me slowly.

"Wha, what, what was that for", she asks quietly.

"Mistletoe", I answer.

"Oh", she says. I lean in and kiss her again. Her lips are soft, slightly chapped, but soft. When I pull away this time, I'm smiling.

"Mistletoe again", Kate asks.

"No that time I just wanted to", I tell her. "Kate I was um, wondering if you uh, wanted to be my um, girlfriend", I ask nervously.

She smiles and nods, " that would be amazing", She replies. I smile and intertwine our fingers.

"Come on we have to get back to the others", She says and leads me back to the trucks after paying.

(TIME SKIP TO CHRISTMAS)

I carry the small wolf mix puppy to Kate's treehouse. I knock on the door and Kate opens it, she is wearing jeans and a white sweater that leaves her left shoulder bare. Her eyes light up when she sees the puppy.

"Merry Christmas", I say giving her the puppy. She holds the puppy with one hand and grabs my hand with her other.

"Come on I have something for you too", she says and leads me to her couch. I sit on the couch and Kate sits the puppy next to me. She disappears into her room for a few seconds before coming back out with a small brown box, with a sea green ribbon around it. She hands it to me after sitting next to me on the couch. As I untie the ribbon she picks up the puppy. I open the box and in it, there's a celestial bronze dagger. The handle has carvings of wolves running through the forest on it. My name is carved on it close to the blade.

"I love it, Kate", I say in barely a whisper. She smiles.

"Good, I hoped you would", she says. I lean over and kiss her, the puppy decides that she doesn't want us to, and nudges her way in between us. We break apart and we both start laughing.

"What are you going to call her", I ask Kate.

"Wolfie or Wolf for short", Kate answers.

"Good name, generic, but good", I say. Kate smiles and leans against me.

"Merry Christmas Percy", she pauses, "I love you", She says the last part hesitantly, as if afraid I might not say the same. I smile.

"I love you too", I tell her, because I really, really do.