Chapter Two: A New Year and A New Friend

I woke up to the annoyinng sound of Skyla's alarm clock and the constant drip of pouring rain. Already, my day was gloomy. That's when my room door burst open with a panicing Skyla. "Charlie! Can you help me with my hair? Please? It's soo frizzy!!!!!! I think I am going to die!!!" I sit up on my bed, put on my glasses, with my hands on my ears and look at my clock. 5:14AM! I didn't even know she could wake up that early. Well, I can't go back to sleep. I lazily nod my head and she comes and jumps on my bed with soaking wet hair and a brush. I brush her hair so it's knot-free and take her to my bathroom where I blow dry it. Perfect.

"There. Is that good?" I ask her looking at her through the mirror. She smiles and hugs me. I was startled by her sudden sign of affection. "Woah. What's with the sudden sisterly-love?" She lets go and runs to her room while I try to fix my own hair. A good hour and a half later, my hair looks human-like. I straightened it out and no more afro. I looked nice. I turn to see the time and it was already 6: 45AM! The rain stopped, but I was going to be late! On the first. Day. Of. School! I run to my closet and pick out a pair of black jeans and a blue baseball tee. I see why Skyla hugged me so suddenly. She knew my hair would take me forever and....UHHHH!

"Charlotte Janice Aminer! Get down here right now! You are going to be late!" My mom bellowed. I ran down the stairs with my backpack and my shoes half on and went out the door with Skyla, who was sheepishly smiling at me. Sisters. We were about 5 minutes away from the school when it suddenly started pouring buckets and buckets of water. I mean, the whole ocean was falling from the sky! I dig through my back pack looking for my umbrella but I remembered that it was on the kitchen counter. My luck has just gotten worse. I realized that Skyla wasn't behind. Moments later, I received a text from her.

My friends picked me up and u didnt notice. So i just wanted to let u know that i wasnt kidnapped. Oh! And just saying...ur hair is frizzing up and you look like a walking Q-tip lol

XOXO Skyla

I looked at my reflection on my phone screen and I wanted to scream. I looked like a mess! I just decided to run all the way to school. I made it in time with just 7 minutes to spare. Whew! I took out student info sheet and saw that I was in homeroom 11H.

Walking down the hallway, I spotted Skyla and some guys lustfully looking at her. Gross. I stared at the wall waiting for 11H to show up. "11B...11D...11F...11H!" Ah-ha! I saw the classroom was still missing people. That's when I realized my heart was racing with anxiety. I was so nervous!! I took a deep breath, "fixed" my hair and walked in only too soon to realize that I had gotten everyone's attention. I feel the heat crawling up my cheeks and I quickly grabbed an empty seat towards the front of the room with an empty chair next to me. I looked up to see that it wasn't me that got everyone's attention. It was a handsome boy with chestnut brown hair and dark brown eyes. I suddenly realized that I had been staring at him for the past 30 seconds and he smiled..such..a..sweet...smile.. I looked down again at the desk and mentally slap myself. Why are you so dumb?! Why are you so shy!? Why didn't you smile back?! Why didn't you---

"Hey. Can I sit here?" Once again I look up to see two beautiful dark brown eyes staring at me. I heard some gasps and whispers. I feel my face on fire and shyly nod my head.

"I'm Jamie. You're new right?" He said brightly, smiling at me. I blushed.

"Hi. I'm Charlotte, but you can call me Charlie. And yeah, I'm new." I said quietly. Stop blushing, Charlie! Stop blushing! Stop!

Jamie laughs. Can he hear my thoughts?! "You're cute when you blush," he said. "You were thinking aloud." I look away. Now mentally beating my self up in embarrassment. GRRRR.

I heard high-pitched voices and some low ones too.

"Hey Jamie! Come sit with us, dude! Don't sit with that geek!"

"Hey Jamie! Why are you sitting with that nerd girl? How about you sit with me?"

"Yo, Jamie!...."

I just blacked them out after about 10 comments about me "sitting with Jamie". Technically, He is SITTING with ME. I was interupted by a soft touch on my shoulder. I looked up to see Jamie with a worried and sorry expression. "Sorry, Charlie. They are all jealous of you. Don't worry. And I don't think you are a nerd." The next part just about killed me. "I think you are very beautiful." The bell rang and the teacher came in. And the rest of the class was a blur..because all I could think of was Jamie and the last words he said to me. I think you are very beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of the Day

"Hey, Charlie! Wait up!" I turn and see Jamie running past people just to catch up with me. AWWWWW! I start blushing just at the thought of him running just for me. Snap out of it!! I breathe and turn again and wave to him. "Hurry up, Jamie! I have to find my sister!" I start walking again and Jamie was by my side.

"You have a sister? I didn't know that." Jamie said, I looked at him amused. I met him today and yet I feel like I met him years ago. I smiled. "Jamie. I met you today. Not 10 years ago. And yes. I have a twin sister an her name is Skyla."

He looked surprised. "There's two of you? How come I've never seen her? Is she in any of our classes?" I laughed. I forgot that he was in all my classes. Skyla doesn't have any classes with me because she is not smart enough. That's why I'm in homeroom 11H and why she is in 11A. I started to explain this whole thing to Jamie and he actually listened to me.

"..and that's why I am in 11H and why Skyla is not in any of our classes." Jamie stood there looking blank for a moment.

"So what you're saying is that you are technically in 10th grade but taking 11th grade courses? Wait. Then how old are you? When's your birthday?" Jamie questioned.

I hesitated. He actually understood what I was saying? Most people don't understand what I say due to my braces." I'm still 16. My birthday is December 25. And Skyla's birthday is December 26. I was born a few minutes before midnight and she was born after midnight. When's your birthday?" I ask curiously. He looked at me as if I had two heads.

(A/N I have no idea if I did the calculations right, but if I did it wrong, please feel free to fix my mistake in the comment section.. .Thanks!)

"My birthday is January 8. That means I am about...I'm older than you. He blurted out really fast. I laughed."I know it might be hard to believe when you meet her but we were both too smart for 1st grade so we skipped. Anyway, too much talking. Lets go find my sister!" I grabbed his wrist and dragged him down the hallway to 11A. I looked inside to see Skyla with her friends talking.

"Hey, Skyla. Lets go." I said that really quickly and loud enough so she can hear me. I lean against the lockers with Jamie by my side. I look at him and turn and smile to myself. He is my friend.

I hear the tiny clicks from her flats. And turn to Jamie. "Are you ready to meet my twin?" He joyfully nods. She walks out. "Charlie. What took you so--Who is this?" she purred eyeing him up and down. I rolled my eyes. Disgusting. I face Jamie and he has the same expression as me. "So Jamie, this is my sister Skyla. Skyla, this is Jamie."

Skyla put on a weird expression and murmured under her breath , "You remind me of someone.."

Jamie looks at me and takes me by the hand and pulled away. He stared at me. 

"That...is your sister?!"I burst out laughing. That;s the same exact response Skyla gets..when people meet me.

When I got home, I went straight to my room and went to the bathroom mirror. I screamed. I looked terrible!! My hair was in every possible direction and frizzy. MAJOR frizz. But I wonder...why did Jamie talk to me?? Why was he being so nice to me? I looked horrible yet he was being my friend...

That night, I went to sleep with a smile on my face.