0 1

CHAPTER ONE.

"...warm welcome..."

The thick summer air of Georgia took my breath away. I found myself searching faces, taking in as much information as I could in the seconds that it took me to pass by. Hundreds of students stood out in the courtyard, entertaining conversations amongst themselves. All of them were gathered in their own crowds and cliques while I struggled to find the numbers of my new classes.

With the welcome of a new year, comes the overbearing welcome of a new high school. Transferring during the beginning of the year wasn't so bad. There wasn't that unnecessary high note that everyone couldn't ignore; that there's a new student.

Once I located my locker, I was burdened with the task of learning how to use the foreign device. At my old school, there weren't any lockers. I sighed heavily, discretely trying to use it without looking like I was a freshman. That was the definition of embarrassment, although there was nothing wrong with being one. It's just a label on your forehead that everyone loves to gawk at. Boy, were those the good old days.

"I smell fresh meat," I could hear the beaconing of former students. I tried my hardest to ignore the immaturity but unfortunately I couldn't stop my eavesdropping tendencies. With all my books in my arms, and my struggle to open my locker, three of my five books toppled to the floor, gaining the attention of quite a few people. I cursed under my breath. I'm really blowing it.

"Oh, let me help you!" A small red headed girl quickly jumped ecstatically to my aid.

"You must be new here?" She pipped, handing me back my huge math and science books. I managed to grab my self help book before she saw the depressing title. If I had to, the only excuse I could think to use was, that I was doing a little light reading. I wasn't sure if she'd believe it, but at least she didn't say anything about it.

"What gave it away?" I wondered, hoping I didn't wear it on my face.

"The schedule and map of the school," she answered with a smile, pointing to the two papers that I had in my hands. I wanted to use the excuse that my locker combination was on the sheets but that was already written on the palm of my hand.

"Right. That's probably not a good thing to have out, is it?" I questioned, standing to my feet and attempting once again to open my locker.

"Depends on what crowd you're looking to attract," she noticed me struggling to open my locker and asked to assist. I thankfully agreed, showing her the palm of my hand. After two failed attempts, she called over a boy standing not too far away.

"Cal! Hey, come over here."

I was slightly unsure if handing around my locker combination was a good idea, but after taking a quick few glances of my palm, the boy named Cal managed to open my locker, with a hit from his hand after he had done the combination.