Chapter 1: The Boy-Next-Door

"Cause all I know is we said hello. And your eyes look like coming home. All I know is a simple name, everything has changed." --T.Swift

CHAPTER 1: THE BOY-NEXT-DOOR

Breathing in, taking up all the courage I have. Yes, you can do this. It's now or never. I kept telling myself. After all, it had been a decade when I felt this toward someone. And it's the last day of high school. My last chance.

Amidst the crowd, I searched for him. As usual, he was surrounded by a lot of friends. He was famous, alright; being the team captain of the basketball team. His perfect copper hair matched his golden brown eyes. Our eyes met, he waved at me and smiled. My heart was thumping so hard as I approached him. My knees were shaking. Again, there were butterflies in my stomach. The world slowed down. Suddenly, the memories all came back...

***********************************************************************************************

It was one of those nights wherein I'm alone in my bedroom, playing the piano, particularly Dreams by Yiruma. Unlike other girls who loves to play tea party, doll house, and the likes, I prefer honing my skills. Honestly and not at all conceited, I can perform in musical competitions.

My fingers were flowing smoothly. I closed my eyes. I inhaled the breeze of the cold December night from the open window. And I thank God, over and over again, for giving me such a wonderful, perfect life. With loving parents who showered me with every good things present in this world. I am not lucky. I am blessed.

When I was about to finish the song, I heard a commotion downstairs. Maybe some burglars broke into our house or there was just an emergency and my dad was needed. Hoping that this was nothing serious, I went down. But before my feet landed on the last step of the staircase, I just can't comprehend what I've heard... It's just not possible, like the inside of me shattered bit by bit.

"You're saying that what I saw was just a misunderstanding? You and that nurse were horridly kissing inside your OWN clinic! And you expect me to believe that it was nothing?" Caroline Hale-Schmidt, my mom yelled at the top of her lungs. She was crying. This was the first time I've seen them fight. It was a heartbreaking sight for an eight-year old daughter like me.

"No. You got it all wrong. She was the one who initiated it. I was trying to push her away at the same time you arrived." My dad, Aleczander Schmidt, reasoned out. He seemed to be calm like his usual self. Always composed and professional like nothing was wrong and that every problem has a solution and a way out.

"Don't try to rectify your wrongdoings by putting the blame on your mistresses. This wasn't the first you did this to me. I'm tired of giving you chances. I'm tired of hearing your petty apologies. I know what I saw. I can't take it anymore. I want a divorce." Whenever my mom decides for something, there's no turning back. I was well-aware of what was happening. My parents. Our family. Broken. Just like what I've read in novels whereas the children grew up miserable. And their paths would be the same as that of their parents.

Not thinking twice, at past ten in the evening, I ran outside with tears endlessly falling. No, this is just a nightmare. I'm just dreaming. Pinching myself, just to prove that this was only a silly game by my mind. But it hurts. This was real.

Suddenly, I found myself in the park nearby. I've always loved that park. Every Sunday, together with mom and dad, we strolled around and have picnics. My dad taught me how to play kites and my mom would always take pictures of us. This is the place where I deemed simple things as magical.

My beliefs were extraordinary and exaggerated. It was those times that the cloud that moves the fastest in the sky is where God resides, or the butterflies are the souls of the persons who passed away. And whenever I scraped my knee, my dad would offer me a mint chocolate ice cream to cheer me up. I danced crazily and sang songs with a voice out of tune, without caring or even worrying if other kids looked at me puzzled, debating whether I'm mentally incapacitated or just energetic and bubbly. Life was like that. Life is a gift. But there are things that are out of my control. And change is the only constant thing in this world. Why is this happening? We were once a picturesque, happy family. And now...

Sitting on the swing, lost in thoughts, I haven't noticed that there's someone trying to console me. When he patted my head, I was alarmed and fell out of the swing.

"Hey. Are you alright? Why are you crying? And why are you alone here? It's dangerous." He offered me his hand and helped me stand up. He seemed familiar. But it was dark and my eyes were stingy from crying.

"I'm fine. It's just that...my mom and dad... *sob* *sob*" I haven't finished what I was about to say. I cried again, this time harder. I don't care if he thinks I'm a crybaby or if I have runny nose and it's disgusting.

He wiped my tears and gave me a hanky. Then he looked directly into my eyes. Just then did I realize that he was the new kid living next to our house. Rumors say that he was from New York. "The world can sometimes be black and white, but we all have crayons. Everything will be alright. Just let it all out. There's nothing wrong in releasing the sadness inside of you."

We sat next to each other for hours and I told him what my problem is. He listened and never gave side comments. After that, it was like the burden lightened up a little.

"We should go home now. It's past twelve already. You're not going to get tall if you continue sleeping this late." He chimed. His laugh was a melody to my ears. My heart beats faster than normal. And unintentionally, I laughed along. "You're prettier when you laugh." He added.

"But I really don't want to go home yet..." I blurted out arrogantly.

"Okay then...I'll have to do this by force then. I'm sorry." Not having any clue on what he was about to do. He carried me like a princess.

"Wait! I'm heavy!" My cheeks flushed so hard. It was like my face was a big tomato painted with eyes, nose, and mouth. But he didn't pay attention. We took the quiet road under the starry night sky. Due to all those dramas, my eyes became heavy.

And before I dozed off, I think I heard him whisper..."Don't worry. I'll never leave you alone. I swear by the angels."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

CLIFF HANGER ALERT! Who was that little boy? :O

Hurray! You've finished the prologue of our first novel. Please accept my sincerest apology if it's not that long. I don't want to reveal the best things here. But I swear (*by the angels. XOXO) that the next chapters will be awesome (and yeah, you rock!)

Thank you so much for giving us your precious 5-minute or so. We are deeply touched. You gave us so much happiness. (*someone's getting melodramatic here T.T) Spread this story pretty please. You won't regret that you've started reading our story. We love you from the bottom our hearts from now on...up until the last page. Awwwww.

Your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We will dedicate our next chapter to the very first one to comment/suggest here.

Ciao! ^^

--BlueberryLoveee143 (Maycee)