Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I hear talking from the distance. It sounds like Haymitch and... Effie?

Oh god. Why is Effie here? I try to open my eyes but a bright light is directed at them. I figure it's better to pretend I'm still asleep. What happened anyway? Where am I?

I decide to earwig on their conversation.

"What happened to her? She is in a right mess. I'm not having her out in public looking like... That." She spits out the last part in her annoying Capitol accent.

"Him. That's what happened. Went off his rocker again and attacked her thinking she was a mutt. The damage to her elbow is new though." He says, obviously getting annoyed with Effie.

"Outrageous. Peeta wouldn't hurt her again. He is better otherwise he wouldn't be here."

"Well... We thought so too but obviously not."

Peeta hurt me ages ago. Why are they talking about it like its just happened?

I need to get answers.

"...Haymitch" I moan.

"And here she is. Finally, sweetheart! Thought you'd never wake up. Perhaps now Effie will shut up."

Effie huffs. "Manners, Haymitch! I'm right here you know."

"I think everyone in Panem knows! They can hear you voice in district 2."

"I'm leaving. I will be back once you have learnt manners, Haymitch." She said, snobby.

"What was that about?" I groan as I open my eyes.

"Oh... You know... Effie stuff... The moaning, groaning, obsessive need for attention... Kind of like you, kiddo."

"Hey! Don't start Haymitch... Where am I?"

"Hospital"

I groan and close my eyes again. I hate the sight of hospital. "Why?"

I hear the door open and then close again. Must be one of the nurses. Haymitch doesn't reply.

"Fine then don't answer. I will tell you what I know. Peeta came back, he hurt me again, I broke my leg, I found a note saying he was leaving, I ran to the train station, found him and he asked me to marry him."

Haymitch laughs. "Oh really?"

"Yes. Really Haymitch. Oh god... Please don't tell me I've been hallucinating... I have been taking my meds. Did I forget? Is this the side effect because I don't read the instructions Haymitch. Please tell me it was real and I wasn't dreaming." I babble.

"Why don't you ask him yourself?" Haymitch says.

"Peeta?" I moan.

"Yes?" He laughs.

"Was that true?"

"Yes. Unfortunately."

"Why am I in hospital then?" I'm so confused.

"You collapsed after I asked you"

I sit up and see him standing my my bed. I register what he just said. It was true and he asked me to marry him. My heart starts beating fast. The heart monitor gives it away with the constant 'beep-beep-beep-beep'

"Hey! Slow down!" Peeta laughs.

"You asked me to marry you?"

Haymitch laughs again. "I'm gonna leave you two, too it. The sloppiness is killing me"