Chapter Fourteen

Raidan stepped inside from the balcony at dawn, silent as the morning was around them. Sage didn't stir, which wasn't surprising considering he had heard her tossing and turning for most of the night. She was curled on her side beneath the blankets, turned toward the balcony so Raidan could see her face, the peace in her expression.

He had spent most of the night not thinking about what had happened, the words he had said and the words he had almost said.

Raidan could feel his control slipping, letting his thoughts and emotions trickle free. He knew how dangerous it was when he didn't keep himself in check, and the consequences that came with it; what occurred five years ago in Lion Crest was the evidence, and the reason, he needed to reign himself in.

But Sage had occupied his thoughts last night, because Raidan had spent most of the night wondering what the connection was between her and RedEarth. He knew she wasn't working for them like they had originally believed, and so now Raidan's only conclusion was that Sage had somehow become a target of RedEarth. Why? He didn't know. If what Sage had overheard was true, then RedEarth wanted Sage alive.

Blain and Karus, however, did know. Toren had questioned them both after Sage had revealed what she heard, but they had been aloof and dismissive, blaming it on Sage's injury that she had misheard or misunderstood. Raidan had never trusted Blain and Karus, mostly because of their unpredictability and their volatile personalities, but now he suspected they may not be working on the same side.

It was entirely possible that Blain and Karus were turncoats.

Sage shifted in her sleep, bringing Raidan's focus to her again. He had almost mentioned her brother again, but that was at least something he had managed to keep controlled unlike the last confrontation he and Sage had had. He had sworn to himself five years ago that he would never speak of Dean again, never even utter the name. Clearly, he was good at making empty promises.

Before Sage could wake, Raidan left the bedroom. As he closed the door behind him he admitted, silently, that his actions – from the moment he had encountered Sage outside Lion Crest – had opened a floodgate that promised a powerful torrent.

Raidan just wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to move out of the way.

*****

Calin's eyes fluttered open to the sting of the fluorescent white light of a hospital room. Antiseptic met him next, filling his nostrils with such intensity his nose scrunched in response. He tried to moved but his body ached in protest.

'Unless you want to stay in the hospital for an extra week, I suggest you remain still.'

Recognising the sardonic tone, Calin grinned up at the ceiling and said, 'Why, Sage, I'm so flattered you care enough to visit me.'

Sage appeared at the corner of his eye then and he turned his head, his grin still in place. 'Actually,' she said, 'part of my field medic training requires me to do rounds of the infirmary. You just happen to be on my roster.'

Her tone was indifferent, but her green eyes glinted with mirth. She wasn't wearing the mask that she did when in field uniform, if only because her medic's uniform didn't allow for it, but her mouth was a stern, serious line that contradicted the look in her eyes.

'Then I count myself lucky,' Calin said in return. 'Isn't today my sponge bath day?'

'You aren't entitled to sponge baths, Calin. You're a Soldier – you'll be well enough to continue recovery at home by tomorrow morning,' she reminded him.

'Oh, come on. I'm starting to stink.'

'I can agree with that.'

He ignored the insult. 'You're looking pretty tired, you know. Maybe you should join me?'