Chapter Twenty

"Alright Dean..." Dean stood against the bathroom wall by the door, Cas in front of him. His hands smoothed down Deans shirt collar and straightened out the slight creases in the fabric as best he could. "Gee, you're a mess when you cry." Cas joked, rubbing comforting circles on Deans chest. "Yeah, hence why I don't do it so often in public." Cas frowned at this. "Hey..." Dean said, hand cupping gently under Castiel's chin. "Don't worry about it." he said heavily, attempting to reassure him, but it was difficult right now. Cas nodded, sighing as he clasped his spare hand around Dean's arm. They fell silent, Dean moving his thumb lightly over Cas's soft skin and Cas hugging Dean's arm against him. Cas eventually looked up,eyes meeting Dean's meaningfully...But for the first time ever, Dean didn't want him to. It was like there was a mutual, unvoiced understanding that when they leave this bathroom, there would be no turning back. And Dean didn't want Cas to meet his eyes, to say what he feared him to say, to prompt the leaving of the bathroom, the leaving of him.

"Dean..." Cas sighed heavily. Dean looked to the ceiling, fighting the sudden forming tears. "Aw Dean, I-It's okay." Cas soothed, wrapping his arms around him. Dean scrunched up his face, desperate not to cry anymore because you know you cries? Babies. Or at at least... At least that's what John always said to him. "I swear, I- I'm not usually like this, I don't-" Dean gulped in some air. "I don't get like this, I don't even, don't even usually cry." Cas shushed him, running his hand through Dean's hair soothingly. "I only cry when it's about something I really care about." Dean admitted, sniffing quietly. "Something I really care about." Cas moved his hands to Dean's shoulder's, holding him firmly so that he could look at him at eye level. "Then let it out Dean." He said "Don't you realize that this shows how much you truly care? It shows me, how much you truly care." Cas said, getting choked up. Dean felt the hot tears roll down his face. "There!" Cas laughed tearfully "See, that's better!" Dean smiled at him, laughing through his sobs as he pulled Cas against him, burying his face in his dark hair. Cas hugged him back hard, grabbing the back of Dean's neck. They hugged, swaying slightly, before Cas finally sprung away, shaking out his arms. "Right!" he exclaimed, briskly wiping away his tears. "Come on, Dean, let's do this." Dean grinned at him and copied, shaking himself out and running his hands up and down his face a couple times. "How do I look?" Cas asked. Dean took in his appearance. His dark hair a mess from their hugging, the scratch and bruise still evident on his face and his skin pink from him rubbing away his tears. "Like shit." Dean said simply. Cas looked at him, offended, but then noticed Dean's smirk "Well you're not much of a pretty sight yourself." Cas laughed lightly, moving over to the hand basin and turning on the tap, splashing cold water over his face a few times before patting his face dry with a towel. Dean did the same after him, attempting to wash away the past events that had taken place. Dean walked over to Cas and reached his hand into his pocket, feeling for and then pulling out the black framed glasses. He had fixed the broken end with some medical tape from the first aid kit. "Oh you fixed them!" Cas said brightly. Dean nodded and reached up, gently sliding them onto Castiel's face. Cas closed his eyes as he did this. Dean watched him as he opened them again. Those spectacularly big blue eyes, looking just as they should under those black framed, thick rimmed glasses. "Perfect." Dean whispered under his breath "Thank you." Cas said quietly, a warm look on his face. 

Dean squeezed his eyes shut as they pushed open the large library doors, the rays of sunlight blinding him. They took a few steps forward and the light left Dean's eyes, allowing him to scan the outside world. It was a glorious spring like day. The sky bright blue with white, fluffy clouds, the ground dry and the grass green. The streets were packed with townsfolk, all enjoying a late morning stroll. Dean scowled at the picturesque scene in front of them. It didn't seem fair that they were all having a perfect day, it didn't seem right that the sun was shining, when Dean felt like the skies should be grey.