Part 1: Assumptions

As a Senior, I find myself being asked by numerous relatives at my family's various gatherings: "Where are you going to college?" After answering, I am met back with the inevitable: "Do you know what you're going to be majoring in?" I answer, with an internal sigh, "I'm going to major in English." Then, I prepare myself for the next inevitable statement: "So you're going to be a teacher? That's wonderful."

Allow me to stop right here. It is rather frustrating, to have it assumed that I will be a teacher just because I am majoring in English. In fact, I do not intend on becoming a teacher. This assumption is ridiculous. (No offense intended to those who may be going into teaching with a major in English.) I am not certain how it came to pass that by majoring in English you would only be believed to be intending on becoming a teacher. There are so many other options out there besides that one path. Many people go into writing, media, publishing, and free-lance, etc.

So, after considering all of these, why does humanity make the unanimous assumption that anyone with a major in English will become a teacher? Please, take the time to ask what field I intend to work in after obtaining a degree.

Sincerely,

A frustrated aspiring editor, Elaura_B

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Hi! Thanks for reading my story. If you need a story edited, go to my profile for the information about it and private message me! The information is also in the final chapter. Once again, thanks for reading. Please like and comment; I'd love to know any other things that irk you!