Chapter 03

Draco glanced up as the door was pushed open. In walked a thin man with mousy brown hair, large eyes, and a seemingly permanent grin.

"Ahoy, bucko," Creevey locked the door behind him, then carefully placed a tray of bread, cheese, and a cup of water on the closed trunk near Draco's bed. "How're ye feelin' this fine day, mate?"

The young man flopped down on the bed as Draco knelt down beside the tray and narrowed his eyes at the meager meal. Bread and cheese had been all he'd eaten for the past few days, an apple from Red being the only dietary change. He'd been offered rum, but had declined, stating that it was a dreadful drink that turned even the most respectable of men into blithering idiots.

"As well as a man may feel whilst being held hostage on a ship filled with men who'd like nothing more than to slit his throat," Draco sneered at the bread, but ripped off a piece and chewed on it nonetheless.

It was extremely bland, just like the last few pieces, and he'd be glad to never see another piece of bread for the rest of his life. He could feel Creevey's eyes on him as he ate.

"C'mon, it's not that bad, laddie. Ye've got me an' Red, haven't ye? And the cap'n's feeding' ya more than most of the crew gets." Creevey smiled toothily at Draco in a way that he must have thought was reassuring.

Draco merely scowled at the mention of Harry Potter, the beloved cap'n. Draco hadn't seen him since his first day on The Green Siren, but couldn't stop thinking about him. The nerve of that man. The fact that he'd kept Draco locked in a room for days with only Red and Creevey for company was positively deplorable. Draco had tried searching for something to do, but the trunk was filled with clothes, both coats and dresses. There were no books in the room, nor was there any parchment or quills.

For the past few days, Draco had passed his time doing mindless, simple things. Standing on his trunk and gazing out the window at the rocking waves. Laying on his bed and observing the canopy, letting his mind wander where his body could not. Wondering if Commodore Snape had already set sail in search of Draco. Pondering what Potter was doing.

"I suppose that's a more optimistic way to see things," Draco muttered in a wry monotone.

"Aye, there ye go." Creevey beamed at him. Draco downed the cup of water and nibbled on the cheese, prompting Creevey to stand up. "I've got to go—Zabini'll have my hide if I don't help Timber Toe mop the decks."

Draco ignored the pang of disappointment. "Alright. Thank you for the food, Creevey."

The pirate looked pleased at Draco's appreciation. "It's my pleasure, bucko."

Draco listened as the echo of the young man's footsteps faded away, giving in to the lapping of water against the hull of the ship. Letting out a long sigh, Draco lowered himself down onto his bed and leaned back against the pillows. If he listened, he could hear the shouting of the crew as they went about their daily chores. Red would be surveying the mens' work, most likely, and Creevey would be mopping up with Timber Toe. Zabini and Tommo would be tending to the sails. As for the captain, he'd either be in his quarters or at the helm.

He'd gotten this information from Creevey on his third day aboard The Green Siren. The man had been more than happy to answer Draco's questions, as it put off having to do his duties. He'd been told all about the running of the ship and a bit about Red and Harry. Creevey had gone on about a few other crew members as well, but Draco hadn't cared enough to pay his attention.

Creevey's absence reminded Draco once again of how lonely he was aboard the ship. Half the men aboard wanted to kill him and the other half were unlikely to protest, seeing as how most pirates despised Lucius Malfoy. Draco's father had a hand in the hangings of dozens of pirates, ridding Port Royal of the criminals. A chance at bringing the governor down a peg would surely be one that no buccaneer would be able to resist.