Chapter 16

The first thing Draco noticed upon stepping on deck was Harry. He was shirtless, his shirt tucked into the waistband of his breeches, and Draco watched as he gracefully swung himself from a rope to the crow's nest, the motion so natural it looked easy. Harry adjusted the maroon bandana tied over his forehead and navigated himself around the mast. A sheen of sweat glistened on his bronze skin and the wind whipped his hair around his face. He looked like a formidable Poseidon from one of the paintings in the manor.

Realizing that Harry was looking out toward something, Draco redirected his attention to the line of Harry's focus. The Siren was nearing a small island, an emerald gem protruding from the velvety sea. Shafts of sunlight pierced the misty clouds above, bathing the island in an almost ethereal glow.

Draco walked toward the side of the ship, eyes wide, gazing at the island. He didn't need anyone to tell him that this was Asylo. Colorful birds circled the island, gliding over the water, then swooping up toward the treetops, and the foliage was lush and vibrant. Draco could imagine Harry growing up on this island, could see now how this environment had cultivated his free and untamed nature.

"By God," Bottom murmured, beside Draco.

"Gives me the creeps," Timber Toe muttered. "We ain't meant to have things this nice. 's not right."

"Yer addled," Tommo said, cuffing him on the ear.

"Knock it off, ye bilge rat."

Ignoring them, Draco's eyes remained on Asylo. They were nearing the land and, as they got closer, Draco could see a space where the trees and land parted, a cave that appeared to lead deeper into the island. Somehow, the water didn't appear to be shallow, like the reef surrounding the cave—it looked as if the deep water led into the cavern.

His eyes turned back to the mast, but Harry was no longer there. Draco's eyes roamed across the ship and found Harry at the wheel, his slender fingers steering them toward the cave. Kohl darkened his eyes and his jaw was clenched and brow furrowed into a look of determination as he angled the wheel, using no tools but his eyes to navigate them through the reef and toward the cave opening.

As Draco looked back toward the cavern, he realized that it was very likely they wouldn't make it through unscathed if that was what Harry was going for. It was too narrow—his calculations would need to be perfect if he didn't want the side of the Siren to scrape the rock. While he was sure that Harry had probably maneuvered a ship through this opening before, Draco couldn't help but feel nervous.

"We be dead as bilge water if the cap'n don't know what he's doing," Timber Toe whispered.

"Shut it," Tommo muttered, though Draco could see in his eyes that he was nervous as well.

"Have faith," Draco murmured to the two of them.

Despite his words, Draco couldn't watch the cave—so instead, he watched Harry. The look on his face, Draco noticed, wasn't quite determination as he had previously suspected. Rather, it was one of thrill. He was loving this. As he steered his Siren, he was staring down the cave, the corners of his lips curled, as if he were challenging it. He was daring the cave to scrape his beloved ship, to even touch it.

As soon as Draco realized this, he knew that the ship would emerge unscathed. Harry wouldn't have it any other way.

The sky seemed to darken and Draco looked away from Harry. The cave loomed above them and Draco held his breath as the Siren approached the opening. Excruciatingly slowly, it drifted past the rock, somehow making it through. If Draco had stuck his arm out of the ship, he could have touched the rocks, it was so close.