Chapter 4

WARNING: MENTION OF SUICIDAL ACTS - NOT GRAPHIC OR DETAILED

'I've been praying for the day that my spirit is finally free' ~ The Ocean by Tonight Alive

"-and light showers will be moving on down south. Now, over to the newsroom for your daily pick of news."

"Thank you Andrea. The main headlines of today consist of a mass snowstorm heading towards Russia. Also, should Donald Trump be banned from the UK? Over 20, 000 say yes. We will get to them later, but for now-"

Heavy, rhythmical taps evaporated into a pressing silence as the buttons were stabbed at violently.

"-both parents have been pronounced dead. One of the bodies has not been identified. It has been said that he had just disappeared-"

"Taylor Swift, new breakup, new song?"

A look of instant recognition flashed in his eyes as he hurriedly pressed backwards to view the previous channel.

"-weeks ago had the body of their young son been found. Inside sources have revealed that the case is top secret, and we cannot be given a detailed description of what exactly is going on. However, it is safe to say that the deaths of this family may have been misjudged. Who knows? Maybe the Earls killed themselves due to mass grievance. Or maybe, it was something they just could not control. We'll be back after the break for President Obama's most recent decisions for the future of America, and soon, the world." The overly perky voice ended at a halt, sounding too happy for a grim subject like death.

With an angry sigh, Alan threw his remote onto his desk. It landed with a sickening thud and a slight crack. "Well, there goes another 50 quid, flying out my pocket," muttered words spewed out his mouth as he reached over to cradle the, now, useless remote.

"Damned paps. I've always wondered; who are these 'inside sources' that keep on popping up? I bet they're just a load of fakes filled with rotten lies." Leaning back in his plush chair, he brought his hands to his face and sighed, the stress taking a toll on his mind.

"You know Detective; you talking to yourself is sending me the impression that you are, in fact, crazy." A brief silence was soon interrupted, "Or a tad tired." He added, with a slight nod of his head after pondering his future options if it so happened that his boss generally didn't like the idea of being called 'crazy'.

"Archie," Alan mustered out with little energy, "how did you get in?"

"Oh." Faint shock was evident on Archie's face. "I- um... got in... by walking? Through the door? Yeah, the door. The door was unlocked, so I- I umm..."

"Just decided to saunter in as you please?" Alan finished with a tone he had never used on anyone before, let alone Archie.

"Sorry Detective, I really should get going. I'll come to visit later," without waiting for a reply he dashed out the room to avoid the awkward silence.

Everything was so tense. Alan was tense.it just didn't make sense, why? Why would they kill themselves? All of this just revolved around one thing. He simply needed to figure out what. But, for now, he needed to have a word with Archie. He's been too quiet for Alan's liking. Oh, speak of the devil.

"Hi again Detective. I've come back with your 10 o'clock herbal tea. I've heard you wished to speak with me? Archie had an inkling that he knew what this was about. He had been striving to avoid the whole subject for the past week.

"So, Archie, you gave me the report of the interview, is that correct?" Quick nods were sent Alan's way. "That's good and all, but what concerns me is the lack of it."